Humidifier

Old 10-29-01, 10:25 AM
atwoodkid
Visiting Guest
Hi we have a new house with forced air and a humidifier attached. Now that works fine when the furnace comes on but is there anyway to make the humidifier work without the furnace. We live in a very dry climate(colorado) and didn't want to use the portable units if we could use the humidifier on the furnace. Any ideas, do I need to buy a special thermostat/humidistat?

Old 10-29-01, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
humidifier is designed only to run during heat, and only when the fan is running. it can be rewired to run when you want, what kind do you have? spray or bypass? what voltage goes to humidifier, 110 or 24 volts. do you have the make/model?

Old 10-31-01, 07:23 AM
atwoodkid
Visiting Guest
Oh boy a bit complicated. It's an Aprilaire, and I think it's 110 voltage. I havn't opened it up to see how it really works but if that would help let me know. thanks just trying to manage in a very dry climate.

Old 10-31-01, 09:30 AM
You can turn your t-stat to "ON" torun the fan all the time, that is the only time it will run. If it is wired up only to run the heating part, you will have to re wire it to be hooked up with the blower... If you just plan on only running the humidfire with out the furnace fan running, it's not going to do anything.. you need air movement for it to do it's job.

Old 11-01-01, 11:50 AM
humidifiers are typically powered by the white wire coming from the t-stat, and run through a current sensing relay on the low speed ( or whichever speed is used in heat) wire. to wire it for use when heat is not on, power to energize the unit (control voltage ) may be taken from red coming from the t-stat, and broken through a switch, a basic light switch will do. so, red from t-stat goes through switch to humidifier, then back to common on transformer. be sure fan is running whe humidifier is on. model 50 relay is current sensing which means fan speed power wire will pull in set of contacts, closing switch..........confused? let me know!

Old 11-01-01, 12:49 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
Give me some info and I'll draw you a diagram for wiring your humidifier.

Furnace make and model
Humid. model

Phil

Old 11-04-01, 08:40 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The humidifier on your furnace is designed to replace some of the humidity to the air that the fanning and heating of the air in the furnace takes out. You can void your warranty if you set your humidifier higher than the recommended level the manufacturer of the furnace states. In fact the humidifier on a furnace is not designed to improve the quality of the air in the home, rather it is designed to improve the efficiency of the furnace to heat your home. Humid air holds heat better than dry air. Let's say you did this and used your humidifier without the heating system(I wonder if heating kills bacteria?). You will be sending humid air into ductwork where there is no sunlight. The questions you should be asking are; Will mold grow in my ductwork under these circumstances? Could I get sick from this mold? Are there cases of people dying from this kind of mold spores? If you want answers to those questions, go to the website of the US Department of Environmental Protection or EPA, click on indoor air quality and then mold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: