Outside A/C Fan Motor runs then stops

Old 11-18-01, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Outside A/C Fan Motor runs then stops

My condenser fan motor on my outdoor unit stops running, but the compressor is still on.

The unit is a Trane TTN030C100C.

It looks like the fan motor and capacitor were replaced once before, with some added wiring that differs from my other unit (I have a 2 zone system).

I replaced the capacitor, and now the fan runs about 5 minutes, but then stops. The motor is pretty hot when it stops.
After a few minutes, the fan starts again, and then will stop again.

Any suggestions on next steps? I've read different sites saying it could be a bad motor, bad contactor, or bad capacitor.

-Amos

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-01, 01:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question oil ???

Hi! Did you try to lubricate the motor ?
Check if the fan stops sundely after turned off, if so it needs oil.

Old 11-19-01, 09:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. We oiled it, and it started out OK, but then overheated again, and shut off. I'm leaning toward getting a new motor now.

Old 11-19-01, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. We oiled it, and it started out OK, but then overheated again, and shut off. I'm leaning toward getting a new motor now.

Old 11-20-01, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the bearings have been damaged enough to overheat the motor and cause the thermal cutout to open, you are generally wasting time oiling it. It's usually permanently damaged. If it's a motor you need you might as well replace it. You can most likely replace it yourself if you are any kind of DIYer. Just remove the old one and take it with you. I replaced one of mine not long ago and had no problems, cost less than $100. Probably need to replace the capacitor too.

Old 11-23-01, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestion about the motor.
I'll embark on that this weekend or next.

-Amos