60's Chrysler furnace operation

Old 12-03-01, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question 60's Chrysler furnace operation

I have a 1960's natural gas Chrysler furnace (forced air) and would like to know how the furnace is supposed to operate.

Currently I set the thermostat to 70 and the burner comes on. Then after the burner has been running a while the blower turns on. It runs for a little while then the blower turns off, the burner is still running. I wait a little while then the blower comes back on. This cycle continues until the temp reaches thermostat setting. Sometimes it sounds like the burner goes out then starts back up when the blower shuts off. Anyone fimilar with this furnace please help?

I had a service check-up done on this unit last month and the tech said it was ok. He only checked the burner and heat exchanger and blower for operation. He did not run it for any length of time.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-01, 08:35 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
The fan limit

switch is cycling your blower on and off.Place fan switch on tstat to on and see what happens to fan operation.If fan cuts off than you have a problem with the fan motor either electrical or mechanical.PDF

Old 12-05-01, 01:29 PM
Visiting Guest
After the thermostat turns on then th burner will light after heating up tothe "ON" setting on the fan limit switch the blower will come on if the fan turns off before the burner then th fan limit "ON" setting is too low. If the burner turns off before the blower then the fan may not be moving enough air. clogged filter, dirty fan ,etc. or the anticipator in the thermostat may be set wrong. for most gas furnaces the setting should be .4amps.
email if this helps.

Old 10-14-08, 09:41 AM
A 1960 model gas furnace may be a VERY dangerous piece of equipment. Did the technician perform a CO, Carbon Monoxide test?? Did he check, test the Heat Exchanger for cracks???
Did he test the air flow CFM?? Did he test the heat rise temperature??? Do you know the static pressure at the furnace??

From your question, I can not tell what tests were performed on your furnace. You may need a second opinion - refer to www.acca.org to find a local contractor who is a member of The Air Conditioning Contractors of America, also look for a NATE certified technician.

The basic operation of all gas furnaces with a standing pilot:
Thermostat calls for heat
Gas valve opens, allowing gas to flow, and pilot lights the burners.
Heat exchanger heats up, when it reaches the set temperature of the fan switch, this switch closes which turns on the blower.
The thermostat temperature is satisfied and turns off the gas valve, the blower keeps running until the temperature of the fan switch reduces past the set point, the switch opens and the blower turns off.
The furnace is now off.
(There are other switches and safeties in this system that have not been described).

Hope this has been helpful.

Wayne

Last edited by mattison; 10-15-08 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Web link removed.
Old 10-15-08, 07:50 AM
Wayne,

Not sure how you found this thread, this thread has been dead for 7 years.

Look at the dates before you reply to a thread.. Anything over 6 months really should not be open up again, unless the original poster opens it up again.

Also, FYI, I would suggest you move your web page link to the profile section.

Old 10-15-08, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by HVAC Questions View Post
From your question, I can not tell what tests were performed on your furnace. You may need a second opinion - refer to www.acca.org to find a local contractor who is a member of The Air Conditioning Contractors of America, also look for a NATE certified technician.
Great information if anyone happens to read this old post.