1998 Mod.coleman\evcon Gas Furnace

Old 12-17-01, 01:15 AM
Visiting Guest
1998 Mod.coleman\evcon Gas Furnace

MY NATURAL GAS FURNACE HAS AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION THAT GLOWS! MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I TURN IT ON. "NOTE" I FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS DIRECTIONS FOR STARTING!! THE FAN COMES ON FOR THE BURNER THE GLOW ROD GLOWS, THE SOLENOID CLICKS, THE GAS VALVE OPENS, THE BURNER BURNS WITH A GOOD FLAME FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS, BUT AS THE GLOW ROD COOLS SOMETHING TRIPS THE GAS SOLENOID OFF AND PRESTO NO HEAT. THE HEATER CYCLES LIKE THIS 3 TIMES THEN SHUTS DOWN AND GIVES ME A TROUBLE CODE "LIGHT FLASHING" THAT STATES IGNITION FAILURE! I SEE IT IGNITE JUST FINE AND AM LOST AS TO WHAT TO CHECK. YOUR OPINION WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS!! ME.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-01, 02:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5
Hello SPUNDUCK. Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most likely but not positively, it could just be a dirty flame sensor rod. The part is the element that senses the burner flames are on and is being heated by the flames.

Another possibility could be a defective gas valve, solenoid within the gas valve, loose electrical connection between any parts and or componets, etc. Lots of possibilities on newer and more complex furnaces.

The main computer circuit board also controls and regulates functions of the heater. It too may have a defective componet.

Defective Solenoids:
The solenoids are on top or inside the body of the gas valve body. Solenoids also supply voltage to a glow coil {if applicable}gas to the pilot flame {if applicable} main burner gas and or other parts and componets of the entire electrical loop.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve!
This is a NON repairable item!

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoids, gas valve parts or other componets are defective, is to remove and take the entire gas valve assembly and or componets to the local retail appliance parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts tested.

Flame Sensor:
This part is located on the burner or near the pilot assembly. If it's defective, it will cause the glow coil to not function or cause the problem your describing.

You can test some of these parts yourself with a continuity tester or an ohm meter. However, do not rely totally and solely on either of these tests to prove the part is functioning correctly.

The flames sensor element, is the part which the pilot flame heats once a pilot flame is established. Cleaning the flame sensor element may solve the problem.

Not all furnaces have a seperate flame sensor element. If your heating is equipped with one, insure the flame sensors element is connected securely and correctly in the pilot assembly, is being heated by the pilots flame, is properly connected to the computers modual or spark modual and that either or both modual is in turn grounded well and correctly.

Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The proceedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. However, bare in mind that neither of these tests will provide positive proof the part is actually functioning correctly and as intended. Therefore, do not rely solely upon either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person test it or check it. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart....Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-18-01, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU

THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUIK RESPONCE AND SUGGESTIONS! NOW I CAN GET TO WORK. THANKS AGAIN ME.