Heat set on Auto Kaput

Old 12-21-01, 12:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Heat set on Auto Kaput

Wanted to re-ask a question that it seems no one can answer, or the right person hasn't looked yet. Have Heat Pump works fine. Last night set to auto and fan won't kick on. Can get heat by setting thermosat to heat and turn fan on. The only answer that when someone posted this problem was, that the new thermosat was wired wrong. Since I haven't changed my thermosat, that didn't help me. The other posters that had the same trouble replaced their thermosats, to no avail. Also when running the pump using the fan constantly, it doesn't seem that the temp. of the air is as high as it normally is ? Don't want to cry the blues, but am on small VA ( Dirty Dogs, why is it when ever you try and get what you earned while serving, you suddenly became the enemy ? oops wrong thread) and I can't afford to replace parts until I hit on the right one.
May God Bless America

Old 12-21-01, 12:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Talking ....My Entire Two Cents Worth

Hello Duncan T. and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I do not profess to be a professional service person on heat pumps nor do I often post replies dealing with heat pumps.

Fortunately, on our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and within this forum topic, we are lucky to have several heating and air conditioning heat pump professionals ready to assist you.

All too often on many heating appliances, the thermostat is the first part to be suspected to be the problem. As your aware, it isn't always the thermostat that causes the problem.

However, since it's a handy part to blame, doesn't cost all that much and happens to be an easy part to replace, the thermostat oftens gets the blame.

In an honest effort to offer you assistance and based upon the information you posted, I would suggest you first be positively sure to turn off all electrical power to the unit.

Then locate the fan blower. Follow the motors electrical wires until you locate the box that covers the blowers relay. Here is the most likely part that may be defective if the fan motor fails to turn on automatically.

You can remove the fan switch {Relay} and possibly the fan motor too and take them to your local appliance dealers retail store or almost any heating agents retail store and have them tested.

Be sure to write down the units brand, model and serial numbers and take that info with you also.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

And there you have it...."My Entire Two Cents Worth".

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart...........Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient.....
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-21-01, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
my fellow vet,
thank you for all you have done for our country, and at the very least you deserve an answer to your post. first, air seems cool when pump is on and fan in on position because "on" puts fan into high speed (or med. if wired that way) instead of low, which is generally used in heat. when "on" air moves faster across heating surface (coil) and does not pick as much heat, but has higher volume......cold air is heavier than hot, so it takes a higher speed in A/C.
it sounds as if it may be a fan relay, what make and model? i would also check to see if the blower motor is getting power when pump is on and fan in auto. pull the disconnect on the O/D unit first to prevent the pump from running with out fan, if power is going to motor, could be bad motor.....that speed may be burnt out.
semper fi

Old 12-21-01, 10:57 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Yep,I agree

fan relay needs to be located.With power off remove panel to indoor unit.There should be a wiring diagram showing location of relay OR wires will be color coded or numbered.Give us a holler back fellow vet.PDF

U.S.Navy Vet

U.S.S. Northhampton CC1--Presidential Command Ship
U.S.S TUSK SS426 Diesel submarine
U.S.S. BATFISH SSN681 Fast attack nuclear sub

"SILENT SERVICE" VET

"YES SIR,WE HAVE A GREEN BOARD!!!!!!DIVE!!DIVE!!DIVE!!

Old 12-22-01, 03:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Wow I'm shocked

Not only did I get some really helpful directions, what's more amazing was seeing a Jarhead and a Ssailor that could read and write lol.
Tom- I went to the Manufactorer's [sic] site and unfortunatly for me all their information is a secert. They just refer you to the installer.
Hvac4u- Hope you took no offense. The unit is a Nordyne Intertherm. As to model and serial # I'm having trouble finding that. What is on the outside of the unit has been washed off.
PDF and all. I tend to agree with you. I'm buying the trailer (oops cuse me it's a moblie home) throught the landlord on the old rent with option to buy deal. This guy is great, he's one of these people who truly practises what he believes in. So I'm blessed there. When someone sells you a property, charges the same as the rent, adds no interest and gives you a more than fair price, it restores your faith sometimes. Anyway, he's not leaving me in the lurch here. when we were working on the unit yesterday, with his tester, it appered that there wasn't any electrical shorting problems. So I tend to agree with ya 'll (transplanted Yankee) as to some kind of fan relay problem. Trouble is, where we would have to look, the box is welded shut. Or are we looking in the wrong spot. ?
Well don't know if any of these helps. I'm lucky in as much as the days are warm and the nights aren't bad here in SE Georgia, despite this little cool spell we are having. So I'm not in a gotta or freeze situation. Landlord coming by this afternoon (I hope) and I will show him your answers. I will also watch for any answers you all post. May God Bless you and your's and always may he Bless Amercia and all those who stand in harms way.

101st Nam Germany and Ft. Campbell 12B Grunt with a shovel
Airbrone !!!!!!!

Old 12-22-01, 12:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: DuncanT

Best professional help you'll find anywhere.

Glad your happy with the info found here.
Hope your heat pump gets working soon.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TOO

Count me in......Veteran also!

Regards,
TomB

Hello: PDF......and......hvac4u.......HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: