Filter sparking noise

Old 12-27-01, 12:34 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Filter sparking noise

I have a ten year old gas furnace with a filter thing that sits next to it. When the air actually starts to blow the filter makes little sparking noises. Last year it was making this noise quite a bit and when the local furnace guy came for the usual pre-winter maintenance he said that was good. It's supposed to do that.

My concern is that this year it only makes the sparking noise a few times when the air starts to blow and then stops making the noise completely. The furnace seems to be working OK otherwise. Do I need to get this checked out?

Thanks.

Linda

Old 12-27-01, 03:54 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You apparently have an electronic air cleaner. What is occurring is as the air goes through the filter, the electronic filter zapps any dusts that tries to go through it, thereby cleaning the air. That is the noise you're hearing. This protects the fan and the heat exchanger from getting dirty. You should read the instructions for the electronic air cleaner on how to clean the unit and it is also good to vacuum the slot where the unit is installed before re-installing the unit.

Also, on top of these units that you slide out, there are usually metal contacts. After you clean these units, these contacts should be completely dry before installing. Some models don't have reset buttons and if they trip as a result of a wet contact, you have no choice but to call a service person.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: