Oil Furnace Restart Instructions following Empty Tank Condition

Old 12-27-01, 10:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Oil Furnace Restart Instructions following Empty Tank Condition

While on vacation, our oil tank ran dry. It is being refilled, but I need to know if there is any restart instructions that I should be aware of. The furnace is an ICG model FLO 115 if that is of any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-01, 02:15 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
For a quick answer, try starting your furnace with the t'stat. If it starts, fine, you're on your way. If not, I suggest you get a tech familar with oil, perhaps your oil supplier, and let them get it started. Sometimes when the tank is pumped out, water could possibly be at the bottom and this problem generally is over the head of the average DIYer. Another posibility is , in trying to restart after a pumpout, air is drawn into the fuel pump..more trouble. Now for the downside. If you do have a small amount of air but are still able to pump fuel and it lights momentarily, the flame detector doesn't detect a consistant flame and shuts things off, and you try again and again, its very possible to unintentionally put raw fuel in the bottom of the fire pot and suddenly the detector does sense a good flame, now you have an uncontrolled fire in the pot. This is a worse case scenario but its happened many times over and can cause some real trouble. Be fire safety conscious and contact your oil supplier for a technician