Signal to the sparking element?

Old 12-27-01, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Signal to the sparking element?

What signals the sparking element to spark? Does the Tstat signal the ignition control, which checks to see if the pilot is lit by way of the flame sensor. Finding no pilot, pilot valve opens, ignition control then signals sparker to spark?... If so, why wouldn't the sparker continue to spark after pilot ignites? Or does the flame sensor not only tell the main valve when to open, but also tells the sparker that no more sparks are necessary? Thanks for the knowledge, I find this site very informative, helpful, and addictive! I constantly find myself losing track of my original goal, and reading about things that have nothing to do with anything I own(and never will own). Thanks again, Dave

Old 12-27-01, 05:17 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
They work by flame rectification. The flame itself conducts electricity which is sensed by the ignician control, in turn shutting off the spark. As long as there is flame, current passes from the ignitor through the flame to ground maintaining operation. If flame is lost the current drops to "0" telling the ignician control to close the main gas valve and restart the ignitor.

Old 12-27-01, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
So.... a fualty flame sensor shouldn't prevent the sparker from sparking, beings how it wouldn't transmit anything but 0 if were fualty? Dave

Old 12-27-01, 05:41 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
It may. Every manufacturer has his own idea of how to do the job and many use both, rectification through the ignitor to pilot and/or from flame sensor to the burners.

If your having a problem, say so. It sounds like your beating around the bush here.

Old 12-27-01, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Just trying to confirm my theorys.. I did ask in an earlier post and didn't get a lot of response. Simply put furnace is recieving signal from Tstat and pilot valve opens, but never lights. When I light it with a match, pilot, and then burner will ignite. Runs for about 5-10 minutes then quits. Pilot valve opens again, but again no spark. I plan to replace sensor and pilot assembly, but can't find parts for this furnace. Then that should only leave the ignition control...?
Dave

P.S. Magic Chef furnace (1983)

Old 12-28-01, 12:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Talking ......My Two Cents Worth

Hello: Davo1111

Based upon the information posted here thus far, there could be several possibilites.

Most likely the sparking module is or can be defective, the sparking assembly at the pilot assembly could be defective, the solenoid to activate the system may be defective and or there could be a bad grounding at the sparking module.

And there you have it...."My Entire Two Cents Worth."

Disclaimer:
To those who know me or know of me and read my replies in this forum and within other moderators forums, know I always have "MY TWO CENTS WORTH" to toss into the mix, especially in other moderators forums..............

Regards & Good Luck
Tom_Bart....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Efficient.....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.
Favorite Quote:
"Keep Smiling" Smiling creates minor workplace distractions and makes bosses wonder what in the &!#@#!$&$#@!% are you up to now!".....

Old 12-28-01, 02:10 AM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
Its unlikely the sensor is the problem since when lite it continues to run until the next cycle. It could be anything from the ignician control failing, pilot dirty running a low flame, bad/dirty ground too large of a spark gap, low gas pressure and a few other things. Since its the beginning of the winter the first place to look is at a dirty pilot. Its not uncommon to get a bug in the pilot during the off season. If the pilot burns clean and strong the problem will be elsewhere. Other than cleanning, get someone to fix it who is trained before you get hurt. Lighting spark systems with a match is the wrong thing to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: