No pilot, no solenoid activity....

Old 12-31-01, 10:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No pilot, no solenoid activity....

I have a Tempstar central heating unit that uses an intermittent pilot module and a solenoid gas valve assembly both manufactured by Honeywell. When the heater is turned on, there is no sparking and no opening of the gas valve. I have tested the module ( tested good ), the transformer ( tested good ) and the vacuum switch ( tested good ). I've also opened up the solenoid housing and applied voltage to it directly, which opened the valve. Could my problem be the PCB of the gas valve assembly? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-02, 03:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Javawinq and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

PCB? Power Control Board?

The most likely parts would or could be any one or several of the safety devices/switches installed on the unit. Depending upon which year model the unit is and what devices the heater has.

The power vent fan safety switch, if equiped with one, located near the fan {usually in the upper right hand corner} a burnt out fuseable link, {there could be several of these} an open circuit or grounded circuit anywhere, a defective safety switch or an improperly sealed and seated fan blower/air filter access door safety switch, etc.

Before looking for part failures etc, look for the easily over looked items. Then explore part failures and yes, the PCB or main electronic circuit board.

Regards & Good Luck, A Forum Host & Moderator.
Tom_Bart.... Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient....
TCB4U2B2B....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliances Diagnostic Services Technician.