please help heat pump

Old 01-02-02, 01:07 PM
Visiting Guest
please help heat pump

I have a new Payne outside unit ph10ja030-c 2.5 ton unit installed by a contractor which is hooked to an 22 yr old weather king upright blower with electric back up. since installation the heat pump has gotten worse and worse. At best it put out air in the upper 70 now it does a degree or two above house temp 60 or so. My tech seems to think the inside weather king unit has a bad coil and cannot find one. he also says system is properly charged. when set to auto the heat pump run untill emergency heat comes on it will work then back to heat pump and it just runs. I live in MD the blower is in the basement. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-02, 04:49 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
First off, we have to asume here that the indoor unit also is 2 1/2 tons. If so, it probably is not a good compatable unit for your new Bryant, in that , at 22 years old, its efficiency is compatable for a 7 to 8 SEER unit. But if the coil is not all plugged up with gook and the blower is clean, you shouldn't have too bad of a match. If push came to shove, I believe some a/c supply house would carry a generic coil if needed. If not, give Weatherking a call in Orlando. But at 22 years old.....replace it with its Bryant brother. The temp of the heat coming out of the indoor unit is irrevelant. Its the difference between return and supply air, both taken at the unit. That temp will vary wwith different systems but a 35 degree TD, with no electric heat energized, is in the ball park. Dependingon the condition of your ductwoprk after 22 years, you ought to check for ambient air entering the return and conditioned air being lost in the supply. Your tech needs to determine the exact problem.