"Bock" {Oil Hot Water Heater}-terrible sulphur smell from Hot Water only!

Old 01-02-02, 02:07 PM
Bones
Visiting Guest
Unhappy "Bock" {Oil Hot Water Heater}-terrible sulphur smell from Hot Water only!

We replaced our old "BocK" oil hot water heater approx. a year and a half ago. Everything seemed fine and we didn't notice any "sulphur odor" in the hot water right away. Then, we started to smell a "rotten egg odor" all of a sudden. By the way we have "private well water". The new "Bock" hot water heater had "magnesium anode rods" to protect the hot water tank. *My family and I finally could not deal ith the awful sulphur smell any longer so we contacted the "manufacturer". They were very nice and sent us (2) replacement "aluminum anode rods" for "FREE". and told us to flush the hot water tank out with chlorox bleach and install the new replacement "aluminum anode rods" and our problem would probably be solved. Well, for almost 1 month we experienced "relief" from the disgusting awful sulphur smell and than it returned and seems to be even more intense now. *For the record, we also have a "water softener system" hooked up to our water to relieve "hard water". Can someone please send us some simple suggestions on how we can rid this problem? I think if we had actual "Sulphur Water" we would most definitely smell "rotten egg smell" in our "cold water faucets" too. However, we don't have any odors coming from our "cold water" tap at all and it doesn't taste like "rotten eggs" either. I feel something is reacting with our "private well water" as soon as the water is heated up from the "Hot Water Heater". Also, we see small "grayish/black" fine little particles as soon as we turn on our "shower" hot-water faucet only and then the hot water seems to clear up. I wonder if this may be small pieces of the "new" replacement "aluminum anode rods we we replaced just a couple of months ago? I look very forward to hearing back from everyone who has any suggestions on how to "cure" this ongoing awful problem.
Thank-you,
Bones

Last edited by Bones; 01-04-02 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-02, 06:51 AM
Bones
Visiting Guest
Question Hot Water Heater-(Awful smell in the hot water house faucets only!)

This is my second time posting this same question. Can someone please try to get back to me to discuss this problem? Please refer to my first posting regarding "an awful rotten egg odor coming from my hot water faucets only?
Thank-you,
Bones

Old 01-05-02, 10:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Try adding a good filter

My sister's family had a similar problem with well water and their hot water also smelled worse than the regular tap water, but in that case the tap smelled a bit too. The problem started in their area after a new residential development was put in several miles away. The local water table changed just enough and everyone with a well was affected.

I know they went through a series of suggested fixes and also cleaned out their softener tank with bleach, but they ended up putting in a two stage whole-house water filter to finally get it resolved.

Old 01-06-02, 01:05 PM
Bones
Visiting Guest
Smile Hot Water Heater-(rotten egg smell in hot water faucets only)

Thanks alot Randreed for all your input. I will look into the "whole house filter" you said helped your sister's problem.
Take care,
Bones