Thermostat setting - Auto or On?

Old 01-03-02, 12:20 PM
Paul2323
Visiting Guest
Thermostat setting - Auto or On?

Should the thermostat be set to Auto, which turns the actual furnace on and off when the temp is hit, or should it be set to On so that is it constantly blowing, but the air temperature coming out of it is regulated?

I always thought Auto was the correct setting, but the guy who installed our new Carrier furnace indicated that is should be set to on.

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-02, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
personal preference in my opinion, the on position will keep air circulating, thereby doing a better job of filtration. mine is in the on position

Old 01-03-02, 04:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Paul

The information you got was incorrect, in my opinion.
For home heating, the AUTO position allows the heater to heat the house and maintain the set temperature. The heaters blower is suppose to turn off at the end of the normal operating cycle of the furnace.

If the fan stays on, the air will continue to circulate and eventually the temperature would drop faster. Faster drops in room temps will cycle the burners back on and provide warm air.

The continuous cycling of the burners on and off happen much faster when the fan remains on, thus it requires more energy fuel to provide the same amount of heat within a set time frame.

Summed out: The continuous running of the fan when set in the ON position wastes energy....energy = $$$$$!

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 01-05-02, 12:26 PM
HVAC Man
Visiting Guest
I use fan in the "on" position in the summer months, and in the "auto" position in the winter months.