No pilot light on Coleman furnace

Old 01-08-02, 10:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Question No pilot light on Coleman furnace

I can't keep the pilot lit on my 78 Coleman furnace. I had the Thermocouple replaced a couple years ago (same problem). A service tech said He tested the Thermocouple and says it's OK.
but, when the "Flame Valve" shuts the burner off it takes the pilot with it. He says about $250 to $300 to replace the "Valve". Am I being taken or is this an ok price?
T.I.A. (thanks in advance)
Gordon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-02, 03:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Solenoids and or Gas Valve

Hello: Gordon

Based upon the information you provided, if the thermocouple is good, replace it anyway. Also have the entire gas valve tested at your local heating agents retail store and or the local appliance dealers retail store.

Be sure to actual pilot flame is burning HOT and directly contacting the thermocouple. An all blue flame is required. If there is any visable signs of YELLOW to the flame, air blow the entire pilot assembly to clearout and dust or lint.

The magneto and "Mag Head" both refer to the same part. A magneto is the part in which the thermocouple screws into. The magneto is screwed into the body of many gas valves.

Some magnetos are replaceable as an individual componet within a gas valve. Some gas valves contain a built in but non replaceable megneto.

A solenoid is a tiny mechanical assembly of parts which is built into and contained within the gas valve. The number of solenoids used varies depending upon the functions of the appliance.

The solenoid and it's assembly of parts are non repairable items and the assembly of parts are non replaceable items. Except on gas dryers, the two solenoids are external componets, are replaceable but non repairable.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve!
This is a NON repairable item!

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person test it or check it. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

CAUTION:
Be absolutely positive the electrical power is turned OFF before attemping ANY repairs!

Read the RECENT & ARCHIVE postings, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Tom_Bart....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Efficient Services.....
Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-13-02, 08:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Coleman Furnace-Thanks for the Tips

Tom, Thanks for the reply. It gave me most of the info I needed
Gordon