How would water help heat a house? and other questions

Old 01-17-02, 09:52 AM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
How would water help heat a house? and other questions

We're moving into a duplex (my sister will be on the other side). She has the hot water tank on her side. They tend to use a *lot* of hot water

Anyways, some how the hot water in the house, some how also heats the house. If you're out of hot water (which only takes 30-45 minutes to reheat the tank) your out of heat. Can you explain to me, how hot water helps heat a home?

Also if over time, we feel like we need a seperate hot water heater, can it be done (since it heats the house)?
I know at least once a week the neighbor (who's moving out end of this month) comes over and complains they either have no heat or hot water...
I dont know who uses how much. Nor do I know how big the tank is off hand.

Old 01-17-02, 01:20 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Have 2nd heater

installed on your side---if not problem will remain--no heat,no hot water,no hot water no heat...sounds like system was design to cover only one side.It can't keep up with 2 demands..BUT with a 2nd unit installed both will be happy---AND the family using the least fuel will have the smallest monthly bill .PDF

Old 01-17-02, 03:06 PM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
Somehow it heats both sides. The neighbor has gotten nasty before when they run out of heat or hot water.

Im just wondering if it's easy to install one if the house is heated somehow by hot water...

Old 01-18-02, 02:59 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Sorry for the delay

From the info you supplied---you have a boiler with a coil for hot water.The boiler heats the water in it to about 180 degrees.When either side calls for heat a pump starts and sends the hot water to warm the homes.However,the boiler also contains a 2nd coil---every time you open a hot water faucet your supply water(from well or city)goes thru this coil to supply hot water for dishwashing,showers etc...Whoever is on the end of the loop or uses the hot water for heat or showers will get the most...I.E. the other side wakes up 1/2 hour earlier than you---it's cold so they turn their heat up at the same time they jump in the shower---they use up the hot water---1/2 hour you wake up--you loose---try this--next time you are in the shower have someone turn on the hot water at kitchen sink full blast---the shower water turns cold---same thing is happening--someone else is using the hot water.PDF

Old 01-18-02, 04:33 PM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
Re: Sorry for the delay

Well my sister will loose out b/c they are night ppl (sleeping til noon or later, being up til 2-3-4am) and we're early morning ppl (6am isnt uncommon).

She has the hotwater heater on her side tho.

Thanks for the explantion!!

Originally posted by PDF
From the info you supplied---you have a boiler with a coil for hot water.The boiler heats the water in it to about 180 degrees.When either side calls for heat a pump starts and sends the hot water to warm the homes.However,the boiler also contains a 2nd coil---every time you open a hot water faucet your supply water(from well or city)goes thru this coil to supply hot water for dishwashing,showers etc...Whoever is on the end of the loop or uses the hot water for heat or showers will get the most...I.E. the other side wakes up 1/2 hour earlier than you---it's cold so they turn their heat up at the same time they jump in the shower---they use up the hot water---1/2 hour you wake up--you loose---try this--next time you are in the shower have someone turn on the hot water at kitchen sink full blast---the shower water turns cold---same thing is happening--someone else is using the hot water.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: