Natural Gas Furnace

Old 01-22-02, 06:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Natural Gas Furnace

I have an older gas furnace (15 years). I am concerned about efficiency.

1. What temperature should the heated air be as it comes out of the vents and into the room?
2. Would a change in the temp of the heated air indicate a heat exchanger problem?

Any and all help would be appreicated. My gas bills have been pretty high and I am trying to determine the best route to reducing them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-02, 10:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Napedog. Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

There are too many variables to take into consideration if the desire is to take air temps out of the registers. Doing so would not reduce energy consumption and gas bills for all intensive purposes.

Air temps out of registers will not be a viable method to determining if a heat exchanger is working correctly nor in proper working order.

To reduce energy consumption quickly, reduce the amount of heat needed. Whichs means setting the thermostat lower.

An example of energy conservation suggested settings are 68 degress daytimes and 55 degress nite times, health conditions providing.

Of course the house itself plays a huge roll in energy useage also.
Life styles and ambient outside air temps, climate zones and type od heating systems play a roll also.

The old adage is use less and pay less. Therefore, wear warmer clothing indoors and use less heating...

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technicians.

Favorite Work Time Quote:
While Working....."Keep Smiling"....
Smiling creates minor workplace distractions, makes bosses and piers wonder what in the &!#@#!$&$#@!%.....&%$##@$#@[email protected]#....are you up to now!".....