natural gas furnace

Old 01-22-02, 06:14 AM
Visiting Guest
natural gas furnace

When my furnace starts the first motor turns on then my electric pilot turns on, then the flames ignite. However they only stay lit for 5 to 10 seconds. This cycle repeats its self 3 or 4 times. The main blower never turns on. I have a programable thermostat with an Airease 80000+ furnace. What could be the problem.

Old 01-22-02, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow .....Several Possibilities

Hello Apercul and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are the pilot flame sensor is dirty and or defective. Carefully use a piece of sanding paper or steel wool and gently clean the elements surface.

Be sure to actual pilot flame is burning HOT and directly contacting the flame sensor element. An all blue flame is required. If there is any visable signs of YELLOW to the flame, air blow the entire pilot assembly to clearout and dust or lint.

Also check the pilot flame sensors electrical connection. Clean as required to insure a good connection. Both of these 2 steps should or could correct the problem. If not, it's possible the part is defective and needs replacing.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Other professionals replying within this forum, may have alternate solutions, suggestions, opinions and or test and repair methods. Check back several times.

VIP INFO:
Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Good Luck
A Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Efficient.....
A Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultants & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: