Bryant gas furnace pilot light wont stay lit.....Help!

Old 01-26-02, 06:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Bryant gas furnace pilot light wont stay lit.....Help!

I have a Bryant Furnace model #394GAD000075. It was in my home when I moved in (approximately 21 years ago), and have serviced me well until last night. The pilot light went out and will not stay lit. Consequently not lighting the furnace, making me cold as alaska. I don't have extra money to buy a new one right now, and need some advice on fixing this one. One person told me the parts to get are not that expensive, and that I should be able to install them myself. Any help in this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.....Burrrrrrrrr

Mintone@aol.com

Old 01-26-02, 07:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Mintone. Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most likely the thermocouple is burned out. Replacing it should then correct the problem of the pilot not remaining on.

Below is an excerpt from a prior posting explaining the parts and the corrections required.

If your furnace has a constant {always on} burning pilot flame, one of the two parts {T Couple or Pilot Generator} is defective.

The thermocouple is the part the pilot flame heats.
A thermocouple can be identified as having an element type tube at one end and a threaded nut on the other end.

One end of the thermocouple will be directly in the flame of the pilot. The thermocouples other end screws directly into the body of the gas valve or in some cases another part.

Another type of safety device used on heating appliances is a pilot generator. The element end on this part looks similar to that of a thermocouple, except the element end is larger.

A pilot generator can be identified as, usually but not always, having two wire leads. These wires leads, are usually attached directly to the body of the gas valve with small screws. The pilot generators wires can also be attached to a reset device not directly located on the gas valves main body part.

Replacing whichever of the above described parts in a first attempt at correcting the heating appliances problem, is both the easiest and often least expensive option which often solves the problem.

Mentioned below are several other possibilities that may apply.

The pilot flame must be all blue in color. There should not be any yellow color in the pilots flame. The flame should be the correct size to both provide enough heat to the thermocouple or pilot generator and also provide a positive source of ignition for the gas.

It's also possible the magneto head contained within the body of the gas valve or other reset device is defective. The magneto head is the part the thermocouple threads into. The magneto part may or may not be individually removable and replaceable on all types of gas valves or remotely located safety devices.

Keeping in mind the reason the heating appliance may not operate as described and or mentioned above, consider the possibility there may be a short or grounding in any part or section of the wiring system or thermostat.

Most likely but not always, simply replacing the safety element {Thermocouple or Pilot Generator} resolves the problem. Try replacing one of these parts first, depending on which part applies to the heating appliance you have.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Other professionals replying within this forum, may have alternate solutions, suggestions, advice and or opinions and or test and repair methods and proceedures. Check back several times.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Efficient.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-26-02, 07:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Reply to post

Thank you very much for the information you provided. As you said about my problem being in another post, I think I found it. I read a post by Doug16 and the explaination to his problem. It seems like Doug and myself had the same situation. Doug wrote that it work out good for him. Hopefully it will do the same thing for me. I will keep you inform.

Also where can I go to on the net to find out where this "thermocoupler" is located. Since the furnace is so old and I no longer have the instruction manual. Thanks again!

Old 01-28-02, 09:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Furnace on the blink

Thank you so very much for the advice! I got the thermocoupler and got my furnace working. This board is worth a million dollars! Again thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: