Thermostat Best Location? and another questions?

Old 01-29-02, 08:29 AM
JTW
Visiting Guest
Thermostat Best Location? and another questions?

I have installed a setback thermostat on my gas forced air system. The furnance has a two speed fan motor so it is always moving air . The current location of the thermostat is near the center of the house @ height of 60" but located near the cold-air return (approx.2'). Is this the best location? The house is comfortable,but is this location causing unneccessary heat\cooling cycles in view that my fan is on low speed always?Is the use of a 2 speed of benefit?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-02, 09:00 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey,
Thermostat seems to be installed in the correct area.
You say that your fan is always on low speed.Do you mean your thermostat never gets satified therefore running all the time or that it never changes speeds while it is running?

Old 01-29-02, 09:07 AM
JTW
Visiting Guest
Brewer

Fan is low speed always and does go to highspeed when heat/cool cycle is called for.

Thanks

Old 01-29-02, 09:23 AM
A
Hey JTW,
Fan relay could be stuck in on position,sometimes the contacts will fry shut.

Old 01-29-02, 09:38 AM
JTW
Visiting Guest
Fan relay is working OK because the fan speed does go to high speed mode. I think my question is: Is it benefical to operate the heating/cooling system using a 2 speed fan motor? That is to say that the fan will always run on low speed to recirculate the house air; then when heat/cool is demanded then the fan relay goes to high speed until the thermostat requirement is satisfy.

Old 01-29-02, 11:32 AM
A
Hey,
I don't know of any systems where the fan will run constantly unless you have the fan switch on the thermostat set to on instead of auto.As far as the speeds are concerned,I'll try to explain it to you and let you decide.When in the heating mode,if you have the fan set to low you will receive a lower quantity of heat but a higher quality.If you have the fan speed set to high,you will receive a greater quantity of heated air but with less quality.Hope this helps,maybe someone else knows more about your type of system and can help out.There are systems where you can set the continuous fan speed if you want to raise it.

Old 01-29-02, 03:53 PM
JTW
Visiting Guest
Thanks A Brewer!

The furnance is approx 20yrs old and I installed the 2 speed fan motor.The low speed is wired directly to run continousily thus circulating the house air. When heat is call for the furnance warms up to the limit switch setting (120 degrees) then it is wired so that the high speed is activated for the heat cycle. When the heatcycle is completed and the bonnet temperature has reduced the limit switch shuts off the fan high speed and returns to low speed recirculating the house air. Is this an efficent heating method or is the conventional one speed fan better? I can always change it.

Thanks for your expertise

Old 01-29-02, 04:05 PM
A
Hey JTW,
I would go with the conventional one speed (low)because you will receive more heated air than with the (high) speed motor.the high speed will deliver it faster but will not allow the air to heat up as well as with your low speed,And with the motor switching to high it is utilizing more electricity.

Old 01-30-02, 05:54 AM
JTW
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks A Brewer! I will give it a try...I will watch my daily gas usage as comparsion, will report back the results, I am located in Canada so my climate is considerably different than yours.

JTW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: