HRV ductwork Question

Old 02-02-02, 08:20 AM
Chips
Visiting Guest
HRV ductwork Question

I would like to install a Heat Recovery Air Ventilation system into my existing forced air heating system. My present gas furnace, which is only 10 years old, has a 1 speed direct drive blower motor. Apparently I can not upgrade the motor to one with a low speed for circulating the air from the HRV when the furnace is not running to heat or air condition the house. As I will be doing renovations, and could put in the ductwork for the return stale air from the bathrooms and kitchen to be expelled outside through the HRV, I have the following question. Is it possible to put the fresh incoming air duct from the HRV into the hot air plenum just past the gas furnace rather than into the recommended cold air plenum? This would let me use the existing forced air ductwork for distribution of fresh air throughout the house and also use the motor on the HRV to control the distribution of air at a lower, non-drafty level than the furnace blower motor would.

Old 02-02-02, 10:41 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Install as per specs. Usually HRV,s are only on during heat or a/c operations. They are not exhaust vents for kitchen or bathroom applications. I do not know where you got the motor info, but all direct drive motors can be replaced with multispeed motors. Be careful though, you may compromize your furnace or a/c operations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: