Installing a Programmable Thermostat

Old 02-03-02, 08:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Installing a Programmable Thermostat

I have a Lennox gas furnace (model G26)/electric AC-heat pump (model HP26) and wish to installed a programmable thermostat. I am looking at a White Rodgers R1F90 or R1F80... but am not sure what model/features to select.

Any suggestions? Or recommendations on other brands/models to consider?

Old 02-07-02, 09:52 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not quite sure which model White Rodgers has the intelligent recovery feature but that's the one I would choose with a heat pump. Honeywell also makes one. The problem with heat pumps and programmable thermostats is if the system calls for heat and the demand is greater than 4 degrees F., the electric heating element comes on to help meet demand. Both White Rodgers and Honeywell developed a thermostat to avoid that from happening because manufacturers and others were telling people not to put programmable thermostats on heat pumps.

The way the intelligent recovery feature works is that the thermostat calls for a two degree increase a hour before your setting. And calls for a 2 degree increase at different intervals depending on the set back you set. So when the time arrives that you set the thermostat to bring the temperature up, it's more more than 2 degrees F. Thereby avoiding the 4 degree dilema with your electric heating element.

Intelligent recovery is actualy a trade mark with Honeywell. White Rodgers probably calls it a different name. I know Honeywell pulled this type of thermostat off the market a few years ago for technical reasons. I'm pretty sure they solved the problem and reintroduced the product again.

Old 02-08-02, 07:42 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Don't get either of the white-rodgers t'stats. They are single stage. You will need a multistage stat. Try Honeywell ct3611, you can get it probably from home depot, lowes, etc. Or any brand t'stat, just make sure it is multi-stage... 2 stage heat, 1 stage cool.

Old 05-30-02, 08:57 PM
Nikon F3/T
Visiting Guest
Question Honeywell Programmable Thermostat 3611 vs. 8611

Hi, I just registered because I have a question. I have been looking at Honeywell 3611 or 8611 programmable thermostat.

Having seen your post re (sorry for long quote): "intelligent recovery feature...Honeywell also makes...if the system calls for heat and the demand is greater than 4 degrees F., the electric heating element comes on to help meet demand...Both White Rodgers and Honeywell developed a thermostat to avoid that from happening because manufacturers and others were telling people not to put programmable thermostats on heat pumps..."

Do both the 3611 and 8611 have the Intelligent Recovery System? Not being an expert in heat pump arena myself, I have looked at these brochures and I noticed only minor differences between the two and prices are different twice as much.

Since I own an office complex with 10 heat pumps and plan to replace them with programmable thermostat to reduce the heating/cooling bill, I want to make sure that what I'm getting is the right one. FYI, heat pumps are GE BWC and BWR series, probably built in 1982, some of which needs replacement (unfortunately).

I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: