Heating ductwork question

Old 02-09-02, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Heating ductwork question

Hi, I recently drilled a hole into the floor of the living room for a cable line and went into the basement to look for it. It turns out it was in the middle of the heating ductwork. I opened the edge of the ductwork since it was drilled in the sides of the floor joists. What I found was that the top of the ductwork is actually the floor! In other words, there is only 3 sides to the duct:the 2 sides and the bottom. The floor (or the ceiling in the basement) comprises the the top of the ductwork. Is this legal or proper? I thought the heating ducts were supposed to be all metal on all 4 sides(2 sides & top & bottom). That means all the dust from the floor above gets into the ducts. We had a house fire 4 years ago and they had to rebuild all the ductwork as part of the reconstruction of the inside of the house.

Sorry this post is so long, but I didn't know how to explain it. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-02, 09:46 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Return or Supply duct? Return duct, it is common practice to use space between the floor joists. Supply's must be solid duct.