Heating for basement bathroom

Old 02-21-02, 12:30 PM
casazza
Visiting Guest
Heating for basement bathroom

I am in the process of finishing my basement and each room has the vents for the forced air heat but not the bathroom. Looking at the joists there is no room to run the heat with the exception of possibly moving the exhaust fan ductwork that I installed and squeezing them into another joist (would be tight). I am looking at heating the floor which would be tiled. Would heating the floor be sufficient enough to heat a 6X9 bathroom and if so which is the best type to use on top of a concrete slab. The heated area would be 3X6 (minus the tub , toilet and vanity).

Additional info: bathroom is not located along exterior wall. All interior walls will be insulated.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 02-21-02, 03:18 PM
WarmfloorGuy
Visiting Guest
Cool what state are you in?

Most infloor heating cables or mats will provide 13-15 watts per/sq/ft you need at least 500-600 watts to heat that space. If your in a cold climate then its a must. the Concrete will draw heat from the floor system. Can you insulate with a barrier, ( cork )? then install the cable or mat on the cork. then the floor system could be used as a primary heat system. get me the answers and i will figure it out for you.
Rod
[email]rod@warmfloorcenter.com or visit my site
www.WarmFloorCenter.com

Last edited by WarmfloorGuy; 02-23-02 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-21-02, 03:35 PM
casazza
Visiting Guest
I live in southeast minnesota. The basement is surprisingly warm during the winters so far. I have been able to work on the basement in just shorts and a t-shirt. House was built in 2000. The bathroom is framed and has only the rough plumbing completed so far. So the answer to your question is , a barrier could be installed unless the barrier thickness interferes with the rough-in toilet.

Thanks for your response.

Old 02-21-02, 05:04 PM
WarmfloorGuy
Visiting Guest
Cork Barrier

If you can install a 1/8" cork barrier, your basement is warm from a insulated foundation and maybe the slab also, I think you may be able to use either a cable at 12.5 watts per/sq/ft of open floor space or a mat at 13.2 watts per/sq/ft. the only other thing you will need is a air sensing thermostat. hope this help and if you want to see the cables or mats contact me and i will give you the web site address, ok

Rod

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: