New Furnance Problems

Old 03-01-02, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Furnance Problems

Got a new two-stage furnace installed. Kenmore. Furnace would not come on two mornings straight. Three blinks indicator light. Low press switch? Turned main power of then back on and furnace were fine, except this morning the carbon monoxide alarm went off. Furnace guy found a small trace of carbon monoxide around the kitchen furnace vent. Could not find a reason why it was not starting or the carbon monoxide problem.

Old 03-01-02, 08:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mike and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I could do a lot of speculating on the possible and or potental problems based upon the conditions you described. However, it could all be invein.

There just isn't enough information or a repeating problem. May not be anything wrong with the heater. A simple & quick interuption of electrical power could cause a default.

When you turned the power off and then back on, it reset the computer board and normal operations resumed.

Tiny amounts of CO can be found everywhere and anywhere. All gas appliances produce tiny amounts of CO at all times, even while operating normally and at peak efficiency.

You can rest easy...the appliance, being new, is not likely to be producing CO and defects in parts or operational problems are covered under the warranty.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals, replying within this forum, may have alternate or additional information, suggestions, advice, opinions, and or a better understanding of the circumstances and or conditions, based upon the nature of the request contained within your question.

Check back several times for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 03-02-02, 03:32 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
MAKE SURE

All ground wire connections are tight and clean.Since this is a new install have installer come back and check them.PDF

Old 03-03-02, 06:50 AM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Question Possible cause but no answer

Hi Mike & anyone else who can help.

I too had a new York high efficciency Furnace installed last fall. On a number of mornings I noticed no heat, checked furnace, I also had 3 flashes of the LED indicating a possible pressure switch problem, checked it and found it working properly. I went outside and checked the intake for the combustion chamber and found it clogged with frost. After the sun comes up, the frost melts and you have heat again.

After this happend a number of times I had the guy who installed it back in January. He originally had a metal screen on the intake, he said he's never seen this problem before. We decided to install a larger piece of plastic on the intake, figuring the larger area and it being plastic might solve the problem.

It seemed to be working, I was thinking about giving him a call to let him know that the problem was solved. Yesterday morning it happend again, I cleaned out the intake with a stick and that got the heat going again. I awoke this morning at 4:30 freezing (the temps here have been about minus 15 in the mornings). I went outside and with a screw driver and totally removed the plastic screen.

That should solve the problem except where I live it's kinda rural and there are alot of field mice around so I don't want to leave it like this.

Does any one have a solution for this. I don't know what type of screening to put on the intake without it frosting up.

Kevin
(sorry if I rambled on too long)

Old 03-03-02, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The installer could not find anything wrong. But it has been working fine for the last three mornings. My furance is installed in the garage, so I donot have an intake. We been having frosty mornings here also, so I was thinking in that direction too. Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-03-02, 07:47 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Problem is more than likely a bad installation. Incorrect location of air intake and exhaust can cause this problem. It is not very common, but it happens. Some how you are drawing heavily moisture laden air. It may be you are drawing in your own exhaust, dryer, bath vent, etc. Did they use a termination kit or just two separate pipes? Is dryer vent or bath exhaust vent within two feet? Is it installed in a corner? Is exhaust pitched correctly?(1/4 in. per ft. towards the furnace)

Old 03-03-02, 08:48 AM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Dryer vent is probably about 4 feet away, but I installed that recently after first noticing this prob, plus the dryer isn't running that early. I've thought about the exhaust which is up against the house, and the intake is about 2 1/2 feet out from the house. But they are installed under a deck and seperated buy a 2x8. I'm in Colorado at an 8000 ft elevation so it should be pretty dry here. I do how ever have a large pond and stream about 50 yards away and a spring just about 5 yards away (which is frozen now), so I think the air around here is a little moister than normaly around these parts. I just think it's odd how this only happens in the early morning hours not during the day or at night.

Kevin

Old 03-03-02, 09:42 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Your problem is two fold: 1) under the deck and 2) Your exhaust and intake are backwards. Reason it happens at night is the air is cold and the moisture laden eshaust gas is being drawn back in by the intake. Check your installation manual for correct install. Extending your exhaust and shortening the intake may correct the problem.

Old 03-03-02, 09:49 AM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I just got back from looking at the intake & exhaust, and was thinking the exact same thing. I was watching the steam from the exhaust blowing out and every so often a breeze would blow it right into the intake. That's when I thought about making the exhaust longer & intake shorter or just running the intake farther down under the deck.

Thanks, Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: