furnace gone bad?

Old 03-04-02, 08:54 AM
BrAhern
Visiting Guest
furnace gone bad?

This actually pertains to the furnace at my sisters house. She recently had it looked at because it was making a "popping" sound. Turns out water was coming down the chimney and getting into the furnace. The draft inducer fan would then throw it all over the heat exchanger. It has begun to rust and the HVAC technician said that the furnace and all the chimney flue work would have to be replaced within the next 5 years. The furnace is only 2 years old. It has some other problems that ive looked at. The inducer fan and hot surface ignition would come on, then shut completely off. The furnace has to be shut down and restarted. Nothing seemed to be wrong. I checked the wall switch and it appeared to be slightly shorted. So I put in a new box and switch along with a new cable run from the box to the furnace. This seemed to solve the problem. Is there any way to tell if they guy was telling the truth? And what are my options? Im not sure about the exact model of furnace but its a standard RUUD furnace. Any recommendations for a new furnace that isnt very expensive. Ive heard Armstrong Air was pretty good. Ive seen them used on a few houses. Any good? Thanks again.

Old 03-04-02, 09:43 AM
jrj001
Visiting Guest
I would think that once the water source was stopped the furnace should be o.k. I'm assuming we are talking about natural gas.The flame sensing rod on those RUUD furnaces should be cleaned (emery cloth) yearly. A dirty rod will cause the unit to shut down right after the ignitor has lit the burners. It is possible that you corrected a problem with the unit's ground wire when you repaired the electrical supply problem. This could have caused your lockout symptoms also.
RUUD/ RHEEM has a 20 year warranty on their heat exchangers.
Personally, I don't care for the Armstrong products. Most of the major brands would be fine, Lennox, Carrier, Trane, Rheem/Ruud, American Standard. But, I doubt if you need a new furnace.

Old 03-04-02, 10:02 AM
BrAhern
Visiting Guest
ok thank you very much. i didnt think so either. But I was wondering, whats wrong with Armstong? At my house I have an older carrier furnace and a 2 year old armstrong air conditioner. It was hit by a friends car last winter and still works. I was just wondering because on a lot of the apartment buildings and spec homes I do work in, they have armstrong HVAC products. My buddy is also an armstrong dealer and he was going to cut my sister a deal if replacement was necessary. I was just wondering if they develop problems since my next house just might have them.

Old 03-04-02, 03:43 PM
jrj001
Visiting Guest
Hey, they ALL work. What is different is the quality of materials and integrity i.e. lifespan. There is a reason that you see them in a lot of new construction or apartments... $. They are a low cost builders model brand, made by Lennox, to compete in that market with Janitrol/Goodman. Notice I didn't recommend those two either. I've installed some Armstrong equipment for landlords whose primary concern was bottom dollar. I just wouldn't buy it for my home. I want 15 years out of my systems. You know the drill... "you get what you pay for". Richard

owner/operator HVAC service company - 20 years
(in Texas, where they take a beating!)

Old 03-04-02, 04:41 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
If you repaired the switch after the water had stopped coming down the flue and into the induced draft blower housing, the lock out problem has probably not been solved. It will probably happen again when the flue leaks. Inducer fan/ignition...Operates using a pressure switch, this switch is connected to the induced draft housing and senses the pressure within. If a drop or two of water gets into the tube it will lock out. It'll do the same thing if the flue is installed incorrectly and sweats internally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: