Condenser Unit Failure

Old 03-18-02, 07:52 PM
dancad
Visiting Guest
Angry Condenser Unit Failure

Last year I had posted a few notes that CoolBreeze assisted in the troubleshooting of my outdoor hvac condenser unit. The conclusion drawn at that time was that the compressor had failed on a 5 Ton Carrier unit that was new in 1994. It failed in the fall and I waited until now to seek a replacement compressor.

The contractor quoted a Carlysle Scroll compressor with a 1 year parts and labor warranty with capacitor change as well as R22 fresh charge for around $1200 including tax.

He installed the unit today and had a locked rotor right out of the box.

Now the options he has given me are either to accept a new 5 ton weatherking unit complete or try another compressor change ?

What is the better decision

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-02, 08:01 PM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
is the weatherking being installed, with no farther out lay from you?... if so go for it, you would have 1 yr parts and labor, and 5 year on compressor

Old 03-19-02, 06:23 AM
dancad
Visiting Guest
WeatherKing

There would be no further cash outlay on my part.

I have researched the WeatherKing and they are a failry low end unit with a reciprocating compressor instead of a scroll.

Will I pay higher utility bills and should I be concerned about the new unit matching up with the internal evaporator coil which is a carrier ?

Thanks

Dancad

Old 03-19-02, 06:55 AM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
it should be about the same to operate as the carrier. as far as the coil, it should be replaced, I have done replacements with out changing, but its not recomended... you have an 8 YO carrier, the coil should have life left in it, but then thats a gamble you take. you were going to install a new compressor witch would give you more time on the whole unit.....what caused the failure?, whats to say it wont happen again? You see something caused that compressor to give out..... Heres how I would put it to you if you were my customer, you have an 8 yo unit, life span is about 12-14 years avg, where do you want to put your money.... If it was a car, what would you do? if you went with a better unit, you would save money on the operation of it and in time it would make up the extra cost...... most higher end units have a longer warrenty on the compressor. I know its a hard call, and it sounds like the guy is giving you a good deal.. are you comfortable with him? does he seem to know what he is talking about.....I'll tell you, in seven years i have only replaced two compressors. the rest have been total change outs... If it were mine, I would replace both if i could, or at least the outdoor unit.

Old 03-19-02, 07:12 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
A little info on Weatherking: They are owned by the Rheem Corp. Weatherking line is their cheapest line.. They are rated with Goodman, Janitrol, etc.
Their 5 ton compressors are reciprocating Bristols and are notoriously very loud when new and get louder as they age. 1200 is a very cheap price for a 5 ton condenser so it is more than likely only 10 seer. Most scroll type Carriers that are less than 10yrs old are at least 12 seer and very quiet. If by chance you have a themostatic expansion valve on the indoor coil, the system may be 13 seer or higher.

Old 03-21-02, 03:09 PM
dancad
Visiting Guest
It's running

The service tech got the new Carlyle compressor to run after some rewiring and "she's blowin' cold"

I asked for the old compressor that failed and the service tech told me it was cut up and tossed...so no root cause failure can be done.

Is $1200 for a new 5 Ton scroll compressor with capacitor replacement and a fresh charge of R22 reasonable ?

Old 03-21-02, 03:17 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
That is about normal for a 5t carlisle scroll. Carrier OEM parts are a bit expensive. You may want to get a 2nd opinion on the installation and wiring to put your mind at ease before the warrenty on new compressor is up.