Residential Oil Tank Removal\installation

Old 03-19-02, 07:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Residential Oil Tank Removal\installation

Hello folks;
I have been trying to obtain some information and background in the removal and installation of buried oil tanks for a one family residential house.
This is the situation. I live in Yonkers, NY and have a neighbor who is comtemplating replacing his oil tank (at least 30 years old) or switch completely to gas heat. One estimate he received was astronomical ($15000!) for the removal of the oil tank and a new one. His present tank is a 500 gal. one and would be replaced with a like size one. Either fiberglass or steel. The present tank is buried in the front yard. Utilities (electic power and phone) are overhead supplied. City supplied water supply is well away from area as is the sewer line. This is known because water line was recently replaced and mapped.
At the present we do not believe that the tank is leaking but, because of age of the tank, he would like to replace it before a problem does occur. This price to me sounds a bit ridiculous and his oil company is trying to take advantage of him.
Have searched the Web but most information available there does not pertain to my New York area. Any input such as comparetive costs, site listings, any relevant knowledge , would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-02, 08:18 AM
Bob,
That does seem a bit high. Call some other heating contractors and obtain three of four more written estimates.
fred

Old 03-19-02, 10:50 AM
G
The estimate may be high becasue of all of the bureaucratic red tape that they may have to go through. There may be specific gudline and permits that have to be gone thru for this type of thing in your area. Might want to contact your building department and find out what is involved.

Old 03-19-02, 05:42 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Price may be high or seem high...This is why: To remove an old tank from the ground and replace with a new one in the ground you are bound by all the recent( within the last 30yrs.) EPA laws. Which require ground and/or ground water testing, new tanks are much more expensive and require more expertise to install, plus installer liability is high...Therefore very expensive.