heating and cooling

Old 03-31-02, 01:12 PM
ron bannon
Visiting Guest
heating and cooling

I just purchased a home that has forced air electric furnace with a heat pump,My thinking is since it uses electricty it would be much costlier than natural gas,The gas lines have being installed outside my property line ,do u think it would be cheaper to have a gas furnace installed to replace the forced air electric furnace?also can the heat pump be used with the gas furnace? the house is a 12 year old bungalow.tks ron

Old 03-31-02, 06:34 PM
Juan Garcia
Visiting Guest
well to tell you the truth

if you you live in an area that does not get below 40 degrees in the winter then I wouldn't spend the money to change it over there's quite a few modifications that would be made though

but the advantage of natural gas is you feel a warmer burst of hot air and it might be a little cheaper but you would have to own your house for a very long time before you would ever see some of that money ever coming back to you.

hope this helps out

Old 03-31-02, 07:38 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
In Toronto, I'm afraid it does get below 40oF. Depending on the SEER and HSPF of your heat pump model will determine at what point you approach a dollars worth of energy (cost) in , opposed to a dollars worth of heat out. Below 32oF it gets harder to extract heat from the outside air . If the comp can't satisfy the stat setting, this is when the electric heat comes in to help out. You need to contact the local gas company asking for an evauluation of heatpump W/ electric heat over heatpump with gas heat. Gas is cheaper than electricity but its the payback that you will be concerned with. If you go the gas route then the electric heat strips can be omitted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: