New Furnace

Old 04-27-02, 04:50 AM
Warren1947
Visiting Guest
New Furnace

I found this site when I was looking for information on heating and cooling. It's a neat site! I own a 160 year old home that I have renovated over the last 15 years. Believe me, when I say I have allot of questions.

My latest project is a new HVAC system. My house is 2-stories and 2300 square feet. The upstairs is not heated. The furnace is in a small cellar under the house.

I think running ductwork up stairs will be a problem. I looked into a Unico, but the cost is outrageous. I have talked to 2-HVAC Contractors and both seem very knowledgeable on typical furnace/AC installs, but are little help on my project.

Is there someone who makes a individual room heater/AC unit that I could install in the upstairs rooms? Has anyone else had a similiar problem with running ductwork and came up with a solution?

Please advise

Thanks

Warren

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-02, 06:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Warren. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and our entire Do-It-Yourself Web Site. The site and our professionals welcome your questions in all forums and on all topics.

Depending upon the floor plan of the two story house, it may be worth the costs to zone heat and cool the levels seperately.

Have two independent systems has several benefits and energy cost saving factors. Initially more costly to install but much more energy wise and cost effect over the long term for any system installed.

Depending upon the number of rooms upstairs and the floor plan layout, individual heat pump units may be advantageous to avoid running ducting, if a ducting system is a problem.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals, replying within this forum, may have alternate or additional helpful information, suggestions, advice, opinions, and or a better understanding of the circumstances and or conditions, based upon the nature of the request contained within your question.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 04-28-02, 05:45 AM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
You may want to look into a mini split.
They come in a/c & heatpumps.
Some Makes are also availible in multi zone units

Old 05-05-02, 07:05 AM
Warren1947
Visiting Guest
Mini-Split??

I assume a 'Mini-Split" is a small furnace and A/C unit? If I put one in:

1. Are they very expensive?
2. Does it require a chimney?
3. Can the furnace unit be installed in the attic?
4. Does the compressor have to be outside also?
5. How far away can the compressor be installed from the area it's cooling? 10 ft, 20 ft, doesn't matter?

Warren

Old 05-05-02, 08:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Warren

Now that we know there is attic space, not mentioned within the orginal posting, almost any type of heating/cooling unit can be installed. Gas heating with A/C or a heat pump.

Outside space for the cooling unit to be located put aside {aside meaning not to be considered} for a moment, it doesn't really matter much about the footage distance from the house. Most units can be easily installed within proper distances. That's a consideration the installer makes prior to installation and works out in the planning stages prior to installation.

Unless I misunderstand or read it incorrectly, part of your installation problem for all inclusive & intensive purposes, I have never seen any two story home so high in heigth that vertical height is a problem. 2 stories is 2 stories high, period.

Since there is attic space, venting for a gas unit will also not be a problem. The unit gets vented up thru the roof per code. Heat pumps are all electric and need no venting.

Both units, if containing air conditioning, will need a condensation drainage system installed and drain location outside, all to be established by the contractor and per local code in the permit & planning stages.

Roof mounting units, which can be totally self contained for both heating & cooling in either system types, gas or electric, are also available, if attic installation of either type is not possible or too expensive, etc. ducting within an attic should also not present any problems to any experienced contractor.

I too am not totally sure I understand the meaning of a "Mini-Split." Terms for different systems, units, etc vary from area to area, contractor to contractor, state to state, manufacturer to manufacturer and any where else around this "Planet Rock" we call 'Earth."....

Mini means "Small." Small may mean both small in physical size and possibly in BTU ratings. Split can mean two seperate and individual units each with it's own function or split meaning a combo unit containing both heating and cooling systems within one unit...thus the term/phrase a combo unit.

Regardless of all considerations, based solely upon the information provided, why any contractor you have contacted would have so many problems installing a unit of your choice or a difficult time in doing so, plus not be able to offer professional solutions, suggestions, recommendations and other alternatives.....??????...the thought is mind boggling!!!

Seems to me that there are several parts of this selection process and parts of the installation project that have been left out, unmentioned and or unknown....???? to arrive any a clear cut & successful conclusion within this type of text only format.

Tom_B.....Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultanting & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-05-02 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 03:01 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
Check the following link

They come in heatpumps & zones systems.

The cadillac of Mini Splits

http://www.mrslim.com/

You can also do a search for other makes

Old 05-06-02, 11:12 AM
Hey,
First of all your system might be to small for the 2300 sq ft. You need 50 btu's for every sq ft of your home to receive adequate heating.In alot of two story homes the second story receives alot of the heat because the heat rises,I would check any excisting ducting to look for an opening causing a heat loss.If your system is too small then purchasing a unit for upstairs might be the thing you're looking for.Then again flexible ducting could be your fix.You might want to look into some suction fans to help bring the heat upstairs,mount one temporarily and check it out.Or you could open a window a little and see if that helps,heat is attracted to cold.I know that sounds alittle crazy but as is goes(hot to cold, the greater the temperature difference the faster the flow).Hope this helps you out some.