Baseboard vs. Fan Forced Wall Heater

Old 01-05-02, 12:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Baseboard vs. Fan Forced Wall Heater

Which is more economical and provides more heat, baseboard or Fan Forced Wall Heaters? What size baseboard or wall heater (length, wattage, & voltage) will I need to heat a 10X12' bedroom addition w/8' ceiling? The heater will be the total heat source for the room.

Old 01-05-02, 01:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: lsBriscoe

I admit I cannot always be impartial when some questions such as this one is asked. You never mentioned which energy source is readily available. However, the energy costs in your area are a major considering factor. I would suggest natural gas, of course.

The basic formula for calculating the amount of BTU's needed is 40btu's per square foot of space. Slight variations to the formula are exceptable but it is not avviseable to over rate the heater.

Bigger heaters or higher btu's is not always better. Check with your local heating agents and make the purchase based upon btu's, heater type, design and what appeals to tastes and room decore, etc.

Also figure in warranty, future parts and service availability. Dealing locally almost always pays.

Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Efficient.....
A Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultants & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 05-07-02, 09:31 AM
jpaykel
Visiting Guest
I am facing the same kind of decision (and heating the same room size) as the original poster. So, using your calculation, the room size is 10 x 12 = 120 sqft, and the heater needs to be 120 x 40 = 4800 BTUH. I'm clear on that part.

But I'm still uncear on what type of heater -- baseboard or fan forced -- will work most efficiently to heat the space. I can't switch to gas heat (I live in an older condo with no gas lines in the building and no ducts), so I'm stuck with electric zonal heating. The dealer's catalog says both types of heater will deliver the same BTUH for the same watts, but will one of them make the room feel warmer or warm the room faster or need to be on for less time?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: