Duct connectors - slip or ?

Old 05-07-02, 06:55 PM
timjkarp
Visiting Guest
Duct connectors - slip or ?

I just got some ducts made to replace some bad ducts. The duct shop suggested slip connectors. Is this acceptable? What are the other connectors called? The old ducts had both, the kind that let the ducts slip together and the kind that slide over the curled back sheet metal which seem stronger.

Old 05-08-02, 04:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds like........

s locks and drives. the s locks are s shaped pieces that the edge of the duct slides into, overlapping one inch, and the drive is a c shaped piece that slides down usually the side to clamp together the 1/2inch flange turned 180 degrees on each duct....other methods are standing slocks, used in larger dimension duct, they have a perpindicular 1 inch flange that gives additional support. in heavier applications are TDC and goverment locks, not applicable to your job. use wd 40 on the drives....trick of the trade!!!!

Old 05-08-02, 07:42 PM
timjkarp
Visiting Guest
So it is OK to use only s locks? Seems like it wouldn't be as strong a joint. The sheet metal shop I used suggested those since I am a newbie. I want to do it right. How do you usually make the 180 bend or does your shop do it for you? The one I used said they don't do it to save time. Of course then I got a cap from them which had the rolled lip. They are rather funny. When 3:30 comes (quitting time) don't get in their way. Also don't start asking questions about a new order from 3:15 on!? I heard there is another shop nearby which I may use in the future.

Old 05-09-02, 06:14 PM
use 1 inch by 1 inch

90 degree angles to slide into the s lock, basically turning it into a standing s lock as i described earlier. use this on 4 sides, and you have got some serious strength. screwed every 6 or so inches helps reduce "booming" i assume the duct is crossbroken. if you use drives, and have to turn the edge 1/2 inch 180 degrees, use "folding tongs" or "hand tongs" honestly, easier for you to use slocks on all 4 sides .......see if you can get those "standing s locks" from your supplier

Old 05-09-02, 08:13 PM
timjkarp
Visiting Guest
I will check on the standing locks. I just bought the hand tongs in case I decide to use the drive locks. What about just using screws thru the slocks since there is some over lap? I'm going to use air duct sealant and foil tape of course to seal it all up.

Old 05-11-02, 08:01 AM
screws through the s locks

will give it added strength, as you are correct there is a one inch overlap.....trick of the trade.......use drill tip screws, not standard sheetmetal screws for 2 reasons....the drill tip (some call them bit tip) screws need much less pressure and it is possible to bend the s lock at that point,by pushing too hard, let the screw do the work, also, standard sheetmetal screw have the habit of breaking the heads off when screwed through s locks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: