What is a good Central Air Conditioner

Old 05-09-02, 12:38 PM
Justrelaxing
Visiting Guest
Question What is a good Central Air Conditioner

I am planning buying a central air conditioner and I am not sure of how large I should buy and brand. So any help woud be great.

Thanks
LeRoy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-02, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
call a few contractors

they will tell you how big...have them do load calc, efficiency is an issue that is directly related to price.....more details needed

Old 05-09-02, 08:02 PM
Justrelaxing
Visiting Guest
Well, I have a split level house, upstairs has 1078 sq ft and unfinished basement which has anohter 980 sq ft. I would like to get a 13 seer as I hear that is what is efficent. I am not sure what other info you wanted to know.

Old 05-10-02, 02:58 PM
hp500efi
Visiting Guest
13 SEER in Minnesota is throwing money out the window. The payback in savings is longer than the unit will probably last. The only way I would get a 13 SEER in the Midwest would be if the local utilities were providing an incentive to offset the cost.

A good 10 SEER unit with a SCROLL compressor is what you should get.

Stay AWAY from

Janitrol
GMC

Unit should come with manufactures part warranty of 5 years on parts and 10 year on compressor. A SCROLL compressor is a must. I would stay away from the "PURON" freon ones.

As far as size, your installer will recommend a proper size (probably in the 2-2.5ton range)

Old 05-13-02, 09:46 AM
Justrelaxing
Visiting Guest
My local electric company would give me a $350 rebate for a 14 SEER.

I am thinking that I should get a Amana, Trane, York, or a Carrier.

Would these be good and what would I look for to make one better than the others?

Old 05-13-02, 03:55 PM
hp500efi
Visiting Guest
$ 350 is a lot of incentive DEPENDING on what the contractors are going to charge you for that upgrade. I wound'nt spend more than a net cost of $ 350.00 to get the 14 SEER ($ 700 bump to the 14 SEER minus the incentive).

Honestly the unit will not save you that much money over the life of the unit in the area you live in (doesn't get used enough to pay it off). As far as getting a better unit with the 14 SEER, not really since most 10 SEER units are built with the same standards. The 14 SEER will have a bigger outdoor unit since it will have more condenser coil area. All in All you are strictly paying for a more efficent unit.

Make sure your unit has a COPELAND SCROLL compressor, uses R22 freon, Copper tube/Aluminum Fin coils (not the spiny fin type that I think Trane still uses), is quite, and most importantly is installed by a contractor that you like and trust. Nothing worse than getting someone to install it strictly on price only to find out that they are very unfriendly to deal with.

Make sure you "wheel and deal" on a standard 10 SEER unit first, THEN bring up the "how much more" for the 14 SEER. I am sure your local contractors are aware of the incentive program and they have a tendency to "know" what you will be interested in since there is an incentive for you to upgrade. This way you will know how much more you are spending for the upgrade.

Another brand or two to take a good look at are

Armstrong
Comfortmaker
Heil