Furnace Replacement

Old 05-14-02, 04:55 PM
elizabug
Visiting Guest
Question from elec heat to forced warm air / AC

HELP! My husband and I currently have electric heat and we want to go to a more economical system. Our house is 1500 sq. feet not including our unfinished basement. Because we would like to finish the basement within the next 5 years, we would like to go with forced warm air which is less expensive to install and would cover the entire house with heat as well as A/C. The question is, which fuel should we go with, propane or oil? If we go with oil we have to erect a chimney (an extra $1500 - $2000). If we go with propane we could go with a power vent but I've heard a lot of negative things about them. I've also recently heard about radient heat but we'd get no A/C and it seems to be more expensive. How is it powered?

Old 05-14-02, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
In My Professional Opinion

Hello Elizabug. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Which fuel depends upon which is readily available in your area. If there isn't already a source of natural gas in a gasline in the street, natural gas is most likely not available in your area.

If there is a gasline in the street, etc near your home, contact the natural gas company and ask questions pertaining to obtaining a gasline to your house.

If propane is the most used fuel in your area and you already have a tank in the yard, contact the supplier. You'll most likely need fuel more often or a larger tank. With this you'll also most likely need a larger supply line form the tank etc.

If there isn't already a propane supply to the house, you'll need the entire tank, lines etc. Contact the propane supplier and local plumbing contractors etc.

Your thoughts regarding the power vents used on forced warm air heaters may prove to be unfounded. All energy efficient gas furnaces {Propane or Nat gas} use power vent fans.

The power vent fans etc are not unlike any other part in the furnace. All are prone to failure within time. Purcahse a unit with a warranty and if available, purchase an extended warranty.

Buy any brand you like and from a local brand name dealer.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals on this type of system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Tom_Bart..."Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering to purchase. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: