hvac DIY maintence???

Old 05-14-02, 08:03 PM
gitmo
Visiting Guest
Question hvac DIY maintence???

I've read that the number one problem with hvac units is poor maintence so there must be some basic maintence chores any DIYer can take care of. Besides changing the filter every month, I have yet to find out what and how to do maintence on my heatpump.
If any of you can give me a good DIY monthly and/or yearly maintence list along with brief instructions, I would be very greatful.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 08:24 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
Besides keeping a clean filter, once a year you ought to put a couple drops of lightweight motor oil in your fan motors. Chances are both are sealed and require no oil. Once a year blow out/flush out, your condensate line and wash down the outside coil with the hose. In liew of not having gauges, get yourself an accurate thermometer and measure the temp of the return air as close to the unit as possible. Then imediately measure the supply air directly out of the unit about a foot or two downstream. You need to do this after the unit has been running for 5 or 10 minutes so that the system balancves itself out. If the temperature difference is between 18 and 21 degrees, you're probably ok on refrigerant charge. Since you have a heatpump, the above is in the cooling mode only. In the heat mode the TD would be in the 25-30 degree range. You can also check the wire terminals once a year for tightness in both the od and id units.