Window AC fan noise

Old 05-18-02, 11:16 PM
Trent McClure
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Window AC fan noise

I came home yesterday to a clicking noise.

Both when the compressor is running, and not.

The unit seems to be functioning fine, except for the noise.

After a while, I became convinced it was only getting louder, so I shut it off.

I fear my fan may be going out.

What to do?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-02, 04:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Trent. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most likely the fan blades may be coming into contact with another part such as the fan shroud etc. Remove the cover and filter and look at the parts and the tips of the fan blades. They may reveal what is being slightly hit by the blades.

If the blades are coming into contact with the shroud cover, either the motor bearings are worn out or the shroud cover around the fan is loose etc.

To help determine if the motor is loose in it's supports, wiggle the motor checking for loosened parts. Worn motor bearings can often be checked by simply lightly grasping the tips of the fan blades and wiggling them. If there is a looseness {Free Play} at the stem of the motor on which the fan is attached, the motor bearings are worn out.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals on this type of system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 05-20-02, 07:22 AM
Trent McClure
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I checked the fan blades to see if they were coming into contact with any thing. I didn't see anything.

I can make the click (more of a skuffing sound) by manually spinning the fan. It seems to click only once per full rotation, instead of clicking on each individual blade as they brush up against an obstruction.

I didn't see any obstruction or notice any wear on the fan.

The shroud is not loose and dosen't show any wear / tear.

I also gave the motor and fan blades a wiggle and got 0 play.

Any more ideas?

Old 05-20-02, 07:29 AM
Trent McClure
Visiting Guest
The skuffing noise is definately not coming from the blower fan.

It is coming either from the back fan (shows no wear or wiggle) or the motor itself.

Thanks again.

Old 05-20-02, 09:10 AM
RichO
Visiting Guest
Hi Trent,it sounds like the blades/blade is coming into contact with something like Tom said.Try spinning the fan slowly around and checking for contact.Remember that when the fan is spinning at full speed centrifigal force will push it out. Try to replicate this as you turn the fan.