heating options for sunroom

Old 05-21-02, 06:48 PM
juliamarie
Visiting Guest
heating options for sunroom

I have a 12x20 sunroom with cathedral ceiling up to 14 ft. I have ventless heater now, which is used more than it should be. Room is mostly windows which are thermopane. It is frame construction. I would like to be able to use this room all winter. I know that a direct vent heater is best option, can't afford that right now. Could I use portable electric baseboard or a fan forced electric heater as a primary heat source. I live in Northeast Ohio, cold winters. I am aware of high cost of electric heat. I just need something for a couple of winters until I can get a direct vent gas heater. Also, the ventless heater has made stains on the wall, probably from moisture. Would electric baseboard also do this. I'm only interested in portable, because it will be temporary. What size heater would I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 05:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: juliamarie

The electric heater would in fact resolve the problem until a direct vent heater is installed. Using an electric heater would be costly but it would also elmininate the moisture problem.

You might want to consider an electric oil filled radiator over a baseboard heater since the unit will most likely be on for long durations of time.

When your ready to install a direct vent heater, consider it's location & visual appearance within the room as a primary factors to consider.

To determine the BTU rating of the unit, consult with a heating contractor. Basic formular is 40 btu's per square foot of room size. The actual btu rating will be determined by room size, ceiling height, climate zone and several other factors.