New Home AC Questions

Old 05-21-02, 07:45 PM
rskinner
Visiting Guest
New Home AC Questions

I'm about to purchase a new double wide that is 28' x 84' (approx 2200 sqft) . Each room in the house has 3 windows in it except for 2 bedrooms which has double windows (Lots of windows!) It will be unshaded and located in South Texas. Most of the triple windows will face east.

The home has 2x6 walls with R19, Ceiling has R30. and the floor has R11. All the windows are double pain low E windows with 1/4 spacing between the pains.

Okay, here are the questions:

This home comes with Two 3 Ton self contained Intertherm SEER 12 units. Each unit runs half the house. Does this sound like too much AC? I don't mind being cool, I'm curious about Humidity removal and such.

Next, The AC systems, thermostats, and ducts are totally independent, however the returns are in the utility room and are side by side. Normally, when I see dual systems, and I haven't seen that many, the returns are actually in the different zones.

All the systems I see now days are split systems, I haven't seen a combined unit (return duct and outlet ducts run to the outside unit) in 20 years.

Does this system seem proper?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-02, 02:46 PM
my 2cents

the "package units" you describe are typical of double wide homes, although never seen one with 2. the returns should be in the zone they are cooling/heating, and it sounds from here.....atlanta.....you will need the 6 tons....a heat load calc, availiable online will answer that

Old 05-24-02, 07:02 AM
sbchaney
Visiting Guest
mobil home A/C

I agree with HVAC4U. The returns in order for the system to operate properly will have to be in the zone the unit is supplying. Also the thermostat will need to be near the return. All package systems, Mobil home, residential, commercial, or industrial have duct systems that run from the unit outside to the inside of the structure.