Air Conditioner

Old 05-23-02, 12:22 PM
dwray2
Visiting Guest
Air Conditioner

I have a 2000 sq.ft Colonial home and am looking for an air conditiner. I have had two quotes one from Mulligan and another from an independant contractor. One gave me a 3.0 ton and the other was a 3.5 ton. How do I know which to go for? Do you suggest the Heil over the Lennox? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-02, 06:13 PM
ask the contractors if they did a heat study on the house. if not, you can do it yourself by downloading the program on line for @ $40. lennox has a better rep than heil, i personally would rather have the lennox, but the key is a good install

Old 05-24-02, 07:20 AM
sbchaney
Visiting Guest
Air conditioning size

The size of the A/C depends on the heat loss in your home. You will need a heat loss survey preformed which your contractors should do before they price you a unit. I would not allow either one to do the job without doing a heat loss.
The lennox unit would be a better choice, However you will pay extra for the name brand. I would also check prices on Trane, Carrier, and Janitrol. I have installed Carrier, Trane, Goodman, Janitrol, Lennox, as well a others and they all work fine if they are installed according to heat loss survey and manufacturer's reccomendations.
You will probally need the 3.5 ton unit, and maybe a 4 ton depending on insulation in walls, cieling, and floors as well as windows.
To be sure please make sure the HEAT LOSS FORMS are filled out.
Check with your local inspections department. Most of them require the heat loss survey now.
Hope this helps.