Duct Replacement

Old 05-29-02, 03:13 AM
Bohunk
Visiting Guest
Duct Replacement

I have a ranch home. The first year I lived in it I noticed Dust was filling it daily. I went in teh crawl space to check he heating ductwork. I found one duct was off the vent. I had to put this back on three times before it stayed. I did this using vent tape as the plastic bag to the vent was about 1/2 inch short. Then I found one vent from the furnace had nothing attached to it. It was heating the crawl space. But what took me by surprise the most was all the ductwork was plastic bags 8 inches down to 4 inches at the vents. Is there efficency in these plastic bags instead of metal ductwork, or would I be beter off replacing it all with metal ductwork? For the life of me I can see no way this plastic ductwork has any effiecency. All I can figure is the construction company whom install them did it to save money. Any help is appeciated concerning this matter.

Bohunk

Old 06-08-02, 12:43 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Plastic ducts or metal?

Take your choice. Either is good if the WORKMANSHIP is good. Your problems came from poor workmanship and possibly poor design.

The duct can be sealed onto the fittings with mastic. Once it dries it will neither leak or come apart. Duct Tape is a loser.
SEE:
http://homeenergy.org/archive/hem.di...98/980710.html

Old 06-08-02, 02:27 AM
Bohunk
Visiting Guest
Smile

Lynn,
Thanks for your feedback. I thought the workmanship done was a bit shoddy when I saw it. I just wasn't sure about the plastic bags being better than the metal. I think I'll have the plastic replaced. Not being insulated I think a lot of heat and air conditioing air ends up in the crawl space. That and rechecking teh bag size I found they were not about 8 inches in diameter but closer to 18 inches in diamter. When I need to go in the crawl space I'm constantly banging my head on them. I figure metal will be better as I can insulate the outside if needed.

Ralph

Old 06-08-02, 12:43 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
If you feel more comfortable with metal insulated duct, fine and dandy. But if your flex is in good shape without holes in the outer insulation, sealed with mastic at the connections and sized correctly, save your money. Your ROI is far down the road.

Old 06-08-02, 10:58 PM
Bohunk
Visiting Guest
I would not mind if the plastic was insulated. However it is not. That is why I'm thinking of replacing it. Far as I can See mst my heat is heating the crawl space. From what I can tell the seepage through the plastic ductwork. I was surprised as I thought teh plastic ductwork was the insulation. I only found out it was the duct work when the furnace kicked on while I was in the crawl space trying to find why soot and dirt was being spread through the house. Had I not found the duct work off the kitchen air vent on the crawl space floor blowing dirt through the kitchen vent I would have never known the platic ductwork was not insulation, nor insulated.

I agree if the platic was insulated and sealed properly it would be cost efficient. With it not being this way I figured I could insulate the metal duck work after installed, if I have it instaled, or insulate the duct work as I install it.

Ralph

Old 06-09-02, 08:45 AM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
Replace your ductwork with either insulated flex or insulated metal. Can't believe your duct system passed inspection!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: