AC Unit cutting off

Old 05-31-02, 08:49 AM
Jamesc
Visiting Guest
AC Unit cutting off

I have a Bryant Unit, The outside unit cuts off some times but the blower in the gradge works fine. The outside unit may run for a few hours or a few days without cutting off this has been happening for a while but slowly seems to be getting worse over time. I have cleaned the connection for the outside manual disconnect on the outside unit that is mounted to the outside of my house, this sometimes seems to help. I found a burn spot on one side of the manual disconnect connection. Is this Normal for a AC Unit? I also have had a lot of problems with power losses at my house do to construction. Could this be causing spikes in my system and damaging My unit. Or does this problem maybe sound like a bad relay?? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-02, 12:29 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
I can only guess but if its an electrical problem I would be sure the electrical connections are tight at the circuit breaker, disconnect and at the condenser. If the pins on the disconnect are discolored (blued) from heat, replace it or have it replaced. There are other causes, one could be a dirty condenser coil. Throughly wash it.

Old 05-31-02, 12:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by "cutting off"? Does it blow the circuit breaker or the fan stops running or the compressor stops running? Your compressor may be going bad and is taking extra power to kick on. There is a product out there for an extra kick to start the compressor....forgot what the name is, but think it is something like "hard start". If it is the fan not running all the time, the motor may be getting overheated and kicking off until it cools down. The time it takes to heat up and cool down would depend on the temp and work load it is under.

Old 05-31-02, 01:27 PM
Trying2Help,

It is called a HARD START, you are correct. But if the unit is cutting off while it's running, the hard start kit won't be of any help. The HARD START is only to give the compressor a more powerful jolt of power to get started.

Old 05-31-02, 04:09 PM
That is why I asked, "What does he mean by cutting off?" If the fan is running, compressor is off....than the compressor tries to come on but draws to much current it will than shut everything down. In this case, a hard start may get him thru the season. Enough time to save up for a new compressor, which will eventually need to be saved.
Anyhow, that is the way I am reading this problem. If we only knew for sure what his meaning of "cutting off" is.
If the fan motor is overheating and shutting off, than when the compressor does kick on it too will overheat very quickly and shut down. Giving the impression nothing is working, when it may be a bad fan motor.
I'm no pro here, but this makes sense to me. Let me know if you don't agree.

Old 05-31-02, 04:56 PM
I do agree with you, and your advice was good.

I just wanted to make it more clear.

Sounds like your on the right track.

I am not a pro either, I just have an interest in hvac and like to try and help.

I think that he meens that the outdoor unit cuts off after a cirtant amount of time. I think that the compressor is on it's way out. It may just be drawing too many amps as you said.

The burned spot on the disconnect switch makes be suspicious. That may be evidance that too many amps are getting drawn through the disconnect switch and breaker.

Old 06-01-02, 04:45 AM
Jamesc
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thank you for all of your help.
I just found out i have a friend that knows HVAC. I explaind the problem in detail and he said it sounds electrical in nature. I am going to get him to come and take a look at it. He also told me that if you have power loss it is very hard on a system. He told me that HVAC companys can put in a time relay to delay the restart of power to the unit. He side this helps when you loss power for a second or two and it comes right back on. He also told me he put one of these time relays on his own home system.

Old 06-01-02, 06:15 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
The time delay is an excellent suggestion. If you have burnt wires at the breakers/disconnect/compressor contactor, have your electrician friend remove, clean and put gizim on before tightening them back. Also check the compressor terminals. A bad run cap can cause overheating of the compressor terminals. Barring the compressor going south, you're drawing too much amperage from somewhere.