checking/replacing fan blower relay

Old 06-01-02, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
checking/replacing fan blower relay

Could someone tell me how to check to see if my blower relay is shot? My fan runs continuously unless I shut it off at the breaker. I checked the wire at the thermostat and when I disconnect the blower wire, it still runs. Is replacing the checking and or replacing the relay something I can do myself?

thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 05:54 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
If you have removed the green wire at the stat and the fan keeps running, then the probable cause is a stuck relay. The other thing is that you would have a "shorted" red to green stat wire somewhere. If you have a heating fan control relay, paralleling your a/c relay, that could be the problem. To replace, kill ALL high voltage to the system, mark the wires and try for an exact replacement.

Old 06-02-02, 11:12 AM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
You should also determine wether or not your furnace fail-safes to a constant fan. Many newer systems, when a limit (safety) trips will run the fan constantly. If you furnace is inside of 10 yrs old, it very well could. If its a Carrier product, it will. (Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day & Night). Check the installation instructions/owners manual, if available. Might also see what it says on the wiring diagram. If it does failsafe to a constant fan, its a different problem all together.

Old 06-02-02, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know this sounds a little simple, but how do I check to see if the blower relay is stuck? Should I be looking for a switch? What does the relay look like. I have a rheem gas furnace if that helps.

Thanks

Craig

Old 06-02-02, 04:06 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
They come in all flavors. You have to start at square one. Do you even have a fan relay, in the general sense, that's servicable? Follow my instruction above first.