Furnace filter location

Old 06-03-02, 09:39 AM
toddvb
Visiting Guest
Furnace filter location

Recently bought a 50yr old home and went looking for the furnace filter the other day and could not find one. I looked at both ends of the furnace. I didn't see anywhere that it could be, everything is tightly together. It is a Trane XE-78, about a '93 model I believe. On the front of the unit there doesn't look to be a panel that is to be removed to get to the filter. I may not even be able to remove the front panel because there is an elbow for the gas line blocking part of it.

If there was never a filter installed, can I simply place one under the return cover inside the house? (the furnace is in the crawl space). We just buying a standart filter and cutting it to size be ok?

Thanks.

Todd

Old 06-03-02, 10:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THere should be two doors/cover to remove.. One to get into the burner, and other one into the blower area... The filter should be before the blower.... Or should be just at the end of the return duct going into the furnace... When you said it's in the crawl space.... is it standing up right, or laying on it's side???

Do you have a big common return vent in a wall or ceiling?? If so maybe you may have a filter in there... *Maybe a 16x20... or 20x20 in size*** If there's no filter what so ever... do you have central air? If you do. I'd say better plan on having your a/c coil cleaned out! You could have a filter slot cut out in the duct work, and go with the good 3M style.

Old 06-03-02, 10:16 AM
toddvb
Visiting Guest
It's laying on it's side and there are two covers.

There is a big common return in the floor (about 18" x 10"), but there isn't a filter there.

I'm plan on calling someone and have the whole system, AC also, checked out and any necessary maintenance performed.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-02, 10:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, Good ideal.. Let us know what happends after you have it checked out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: