will furnace heat new addition?

Old 06-04-02, 08:35 AM
3170m
Visiting Guest
will furnace heat new addition?

I'm looking for answers about a potential addition to my house. Will my furnce do the job? We have 2400 sq feet running on a 75,000 btu gas furnace. We are in the Seattle area with R-19 2x6 walls and R-38 ceilings. The addition is 425 sq feet with 10-12 foot ceilings. Wiling to raise R values for addition if helps in factoring.
Thanks
Vince

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 09:34 AM
hvacattack
Visiting Guest
Hello Vince

The only way to know is to do a load calculation on the home, including the addition. You seem to be well-versed with construction (R-values and such). An HVAC-technician or yourself can do the load calc. You might need to buy a Manual J (this manual is used to determine the btuh's you need to maintain a cooling or heating load in your home). Seeing as how you are in Seattle (it gets cold up there) I would hate to say either way whether or not your furnace will heat the new addition. Manual J is about $35 and you can find it online. Or for a one hour fee you could have someone come out and do the load calc. (about $50-70). However, the professional might make less beginners' mistakes in the calculation.

Good Luck,
Hvacattack