Evaoprator Coil Trouble

Old 06-04-02, 09:42 AM
jackg
Visiting Guest
Evaoprator Coil Trouble

I recently had my AC unit checked out (RUUD 9 series), and the evaporator coil was obstructed (only 1/2 capacity). The service tech told me I needed to replace it, and it would cost around $900 (installed, US). Does this sound accurate? The model # is GH36S...

Old 06-04-02, 11:15 AM
RichO
Visiting Guest
"obstructed"
Did he say what exactly is causing this obstruction?Something doesn't sound right,if it's dirty you can clean it,if the fins are smashed flat you can buy a "comb" to realign them,if the lines are smashed well then you would really have a problem.

Does the evaporator become covered up with ice during operation?
What prompted you to call in a service tech?
Has the eavaporator coil been replaced previously?if it has it may be over/under sized for your condensing unit,which could cause a "1\2 capacity"condition.

I can't imagine a scenario that would cause the refrigerant lines to become obstructed internally in the evap.coil.

Old 06-04-02, 11:19 AM
jackg
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply

I am unsure what he meant, but I felt the evaporator coils myself and one half was cold, the other room temperature. In addition, the pressure was reading at around 55psi in the line, and the temperature in the evaporator was 71.5 degrees F. The technician told me the pressure should have been around 70psi (which it was in the downstairs unit), and the temperature in the evaporator unit closer to 60 degrees F.

Old 06-04-02, 11:58 AM
RichO
Visiting Guest
Whoa,that was a quick response.
Is the coil an A-frame?
What type of valve is it?capillary tube or TX?I've only two wholesaler books at home and neither of them sells Ruud.
Which refrigerant are you using?
When you say downstairs unit do you mean the outdoor unit?or do you have two seperate evaporators?

I don't have a lot of years with HVAC but at least your post will stay at the top and if I do make an error somebody is sure to correct me.

this should help you identify which valve the evaporator uses.
http://oberon.ark.com/~airekool/rb2.htm

Old 06-04-02, 12:04 PM
jackg
Visiting Guest
I can give you a little information... but not a lot. Unfortunately, my experience in HVAC is extremely limited. However, here is what I know:

R-22 is the refridgerant
The coil was an a-frame style
I actually have a 2-story home, and the evaporator for the upstairs "zone" is in the attic (the one for downstairs is in the basement)
It appears to be a capillary tube, though I don't know for sure

RUUD uses someone elses coil, but I have the information off the unit: Model GH 36S... BV 122 24-075 RB, serial #1/0 043503

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-04-02, 12:37 PM
RichO
Visiting Guest
If it is capillary tube then yes,it's possible half the evaporator is not being utilized due to a obstructed/plugged cap. tube.Replacing it would be the proper course of action.You should also be replacing the filter/drier,purging the system and replacing the freon.The 900$ quote probably covers all that.

I'm curious about what may have caused the cap. tube to become plugged.Has the system been worked on recently?

Old 06-04-02, 12:49 PM
jackg
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help. I feel better equiped to talk to the HVAC technician today when he comes out to quote a replacement for the system itself. The unit is about 12 years old, and my wife and I have lived in the house for only about 4.5 of those years. We have the system serviced every year, and I change the filters every month (we have two dogs, so they get "clogged" quickly). However, the previous owner rented the property and did not take care of it ("fix'er upper" barely starts to describe this place).

Once again, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: