Furnace Pilot Outage

Old 06-04-02, 09:42 AM
spankyme1
Visiting Guest
pilot light keep going out, on furnace

my pilot light keep going out on my furnace. what can i do or look for so this
not happen again? it's under the house. and i think it was installed in 1988.
Thanks for any info....

Old 06-05-02, 07:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: spankyme1

Depending upon what type of ignition ystem is used on the furnace determines what may be the problem. If the pilot is a constant burning pilot flame, chances are the thermocouple or pilot generator is weak. If this is the case, the part must be replaced.

If the pilot flame is only yellowed, the pilot assembly may be dusty. If that is the case, cleaning the pilot assembly may resolve the problem.

If the pilot flame is not yellowed and the thermocouple or pilot generator is not burned out or wornout, the magneto may be defective. The magneto is the part the thermocouple screws into.

It's also possible, do to the age of the heater, the firebox {Heat Exchanger} is cracked and or ruptured. Fireboxes that are cracked, ruptured or have holes in them are extremely hazardous.

A cracked and or damaged firebox will be evident if the burner flames and or pilot flame is blown around when the fan is running. Only the trained eye of a skilled furnace professional can usually determine if a firebox is suspected of being cracked and or damaged.

Highly trained professionals may also need the useage of a carbon monoxide detection equipment, especially designed to test gas appliance flue gasses to determine if a firebox may be damaged and unsafe to use.

Read the ARCHIVE postings, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 11-01-08, 02:45 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I found your post very interesting. Would you tell me does the fire box have anything to do with the generator on a wall furnace? Let me explain; Every year for the last 3 my local gas company comes out to light the pilot on my wall furnace and says there is a yellow amber to it. I tell my landlord, he never calls a professional. He looks at it and then lights it. The last 2 years I have been getting unexplained episodes of violent vomiting, diahreah, nausea and migrain, elevated blood pressure. it lasts about 8 hours each time and I end up in ER. I have had a total of 4 ER visits with no explanation to these episodes. Just before summer began I had my pilot turned off and also the the stove pilot. It generates alot of unwanted heat and I use a microwave. I realized today that I haven't had an episode since I turned off the stove and furnace about 5 months. I had the gas co come out because cold season is about to start. This year the gas co decides not to turn on the pilot and says the same thing about the glow and notes a possible fire box issue. My Landlord checks it and decides to replace the generator. I haven't used it yet, but do notice that it is quiet compared to before the replacement. It use have the sound of a flame constantly.

Could I have had carbon monoxide posoining or illness due to the stove or furnace? What are the symptoms? Should I have the gas company back out and or call a licensed heating and plumbing guy to check it myself? I am very nervous about this.

Thank you for your professional opinion in advance!

Old 11-01-08, 03:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Call up your utility company and see if they come out and do free carbon monoxide tests. Tell them what you did here, and your symptoms.

And with gas appliances in a house, it is most recommended that you get at least one CO detector and maybe more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: