central air problem

Old 06-04-02, 04:50 PM
allanr
Visiting Guest
central air problem

I recently had a new central air system installed in my house. Certain vents are not producing enough cold air. These same vents have the same problem heating in the winter. Also, the fan on the unit runs continuously. Someone has suggested readjusting the airflow of the vents by putting a towel in certain vents. Is this a wise idea? I'm a first time homeowner, so I'm unsure about how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-04-02, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my house, up in the attic where the ductwork is, there are deals on each piece coming out of the main unit up there that can be opened or closed to regulate the airflow. I can't remember what they are called, but if I 'aim' it toward the ductwork it is fully open, and if I 'aim' it perpendicular to the ductwork it is closed. These may be in the closed position. Also, something to look for is crimped or bent ductwork (mine are flexible through the attic) that may be restricting airflow to those rooms, or areas.

-Kay

Old 06-04-02, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
those are

called volume dampers, available at home depot, be sure to get the right size, place them at branch from main trunk

Old 06-04-02, 07:41 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
Heating and cooling units are no better than the duct system their installed on. Duct work makes the system not the other way around. If the installers also did the duct work, get them back out there to make it right. If it was existing and you had decent air from those vents before they did the work, get them back out to make it right.

If you have an old home with existing ducts look for balancing dampers at each duct run where it takes off. If it comes direct from a plenum, takes off a main trunk line or comes from a "Y" branch. Look at the take off to that run, you'll find a small lever thats adjustable. Adjust all of them inline with the duct. Thats full open. 90 degrees to the duct is full closed. Start with all full open then balance the air flow from there.

This will at least give you a starting point.
Forget the towel bit, thats rediculous.

Old 06-05-02, 04:32 PM
allanr
Visiting Guest
Many thanks to all who replied to my question. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought the towel idea was ridiculous

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: