Heating / Cooling insufficient in upstairs

Old 06-05-02, 01:58 PM
Legend
Visiting Guest
Heating / Cooling insufficient in upstairs

I have a new cape cod style house. In the winter, the upstairs is too cold and in the summer it is too hot. I was told to close the vents in the downstairs rooms allowing more air to get upstairs. This does not solve the problem. The builder told us that a 5 to 10 degree difference from upstairs to downstairs is normal in cape cod style homes. Is this true or should I work on getting this corrected? Ten degrees seems a bit extreme to me.

Details that may or may not mean anything.

>Furnace is in the basement.
>There are 5 vents upstairs (where the problem is). Two in each bedroom and one in the bathroom.
>This level is approx 800 sq ft.
>The builder told us the system was "balanced". What does this mean? Does that mean I can't try to play around with the dampers by the furnace in the basement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-05-02, 08:32 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
That is not an uncommon problem. Chances are you'll find bad duct design. Low air flow usually caused by to small a duct leading to the upstairs, properly sized but poorly run duct to the upstairs or a poor takeoff at the furnace or main trunk line. Or any combination of the above. If your contractor said its normal, he would be WRONG! The system is balanced? How could that be if no air gets to the upstairs? You need to get him out there and stay on him to make it right. Having uneven temps between 2 floors is normal but unlivable is not.

Either way good luck.

Moderators Note:
Providing helpful information is perfectly okay.
Offering to provide services for a fee is not.
That part of this reply has been deleted.

Forum Host & A Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-05-02 at 09:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: