Central Air Question

Old 06-05-02, 02:22 PM
ena1512
Visiting Guest
Question Central Air Question

I have a two bedroom two story townhouse that is roughly 1600 SF. The airconditioner seems to be running extremely well downstairs. However, the registers for the upstairs are barely moving any air around, and they are located in the ceiling (there are 4 registers total upstairs). The townhouse was inspected before purchase less than one year ago, and the heating and cooling system was given a passing mark. Anyway, my question essentially is has anyone heard of this type of problem. I was thinking that the ductwork might have some sort of damage, i.e. came apart at one or more of the seams, or perhaps there is a crimp in it. Anyway, just thought that I would ask here before we waste a ton of money having someone come out in the middle of summer to take a look at it. Thanks for your replies.

Old 06-05-02, 02:58 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
That is not an uncommon problem. Chances are you'll find bad duct design. Low air flow usually caused by to small a duct leading to the upstairs, properly sized but poorly run duct to the upstairs or a poor takeoff at the furnace or main trunk line. Or any combination of the above. The solution is to find someone who knows duct design.

Make sure your filters are clean. Vents open in the upstairs. Pinch down on the one's downstairs (don't close them) and get as much return air as you can.

Old 06-05-02, 03:43 PM
ena1512
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is one of those issues that you had mentioned. I am going to try to close the downstairs vents a bit tonight. This is the first two story house that I have ran into though where the ducting was in the upstairs ceilings. Seems extreemly innefficient, and also I would imagine more expensive to accomplish the initial setup. Anyway, thanks again for the reply. As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, it probably is poor duct work. If it is deemed that is the case, I don't suppose that is warranty work? Just a thought. Take care.

Old 06-05-02, 04:38 PM
PHnd
Visiting Guest
As far as being inefficient for cieling vents, its not. Personally I prefer it that way but it has to be properly designed. As for warranty, if the house has warranty use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: