How many return airs in home a/c?

Old 06-13-02, 07:27 PM
guyg
Visiting Guest
How many return airs in home a/c?

We recently bought a 1970-era, 1800 cubic foot house. There originally were two return air vents (located at floor level, while the cooling/heating vents are in the ceilings). The layour of the house includes a wall and normal size door separating the bedrooms from the living areas of the house. The second return air is located in that hall. (The thermostat is located on the wall approx 5 feet from this return air). This return air, however, was plugged/capped before we moved in. The home inspector seemed to think this was okay. Among other things, I had always understood the thermostat was supposed to be located within a certain distance of the return air vent. The "working" return air is in the living room, with a wall and approx 20 feet between it and the thermostat.

Should both return airs be operable?

Should I relocate the thermostat to be closer to the working return air?

Old 06-13-02, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Both returns should be open. How big are these returns?? you'd almost have one in each of the bed room as well. If these returns in the hall and living room are big, then you should be okay then.

The T-Stat should be left as it is.. That is the right location for it.

Old 06-16-02, 07:49 AM
guyg
Visiting Guest
Jay, the living room return air is 12 x 48. The hallway return air looks to be only slightly smaller. I've never tried to fit it with a filter so I'm not positive. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking that they would not have gone to the cost of building it in if it wasn't a good idea.

Old 06-16-02, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I almost want to say that those two are not enough for the home.. I'd put one in each bed room, and if you have a family room in the basement, I'd put one there too.. That is only if you have open basement where you can make new runs for the returns in the bed rooms.

Old 06-16-02, 05:28 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
Two 48x12 returns for an 1800 sf house is adaquate. Actually its not the return sizes that count, its the return duct size that may make a difference. The stat will sense the hallway airflow, and cycle the a/c, keeping that area comfortable. That may have been the reason it had been blanked off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: