A/C Air Flow Problem

Old 06-23-02, 07:39 PM
MichelleApt39
Visiting Guest
Question Central Air in Townhouse Style Condo: Air Flow Problem

Help me!!!!! My fiance and I recently moved into a condo (about 2 months ago). The condo is 22 years old. It is a townhouse style with a partially in the ground garage. Our first floor with our living room is level with our central air conditioning unit. The dining room is level with the living room but is above the garage. Our second floor is technically the third floor in the front of the condo, but the second floor of the rear of the unit.

With that said, here is our problem. The living room and dining room have sufficient air flow to cool the place down tremdously. We have a cailing fan in the dining room that makes the downstairs so cold that even when it is at something like 74 degrees, you need a blanket. Upstairs, it is stifling. We recently put up a ceiling fan upstairs in the hallway to try to circulate the air, but the vents themselves have practically no force in the air flow. If you feel the vent, there is very little air flow coming out of it.

The air conditioning is coming out very cold, but no force.

When we moved in 2 months ago, some a/c guy came and charged us 120.00 to add freon and tell us that the force was fine and that it won't come out forceful on the top floor like it will on the bottom. For some reason, I don't think he was really telling me the truth. He was late for the appointment and was kinda in a rush.

Please help! We have a Carrier A/C unit from 1980.

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 06-23-02, 08:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Michelle. Welcome to the Heating and Cooling forum.

The upper level will always be warmer since warm air rises.
Likewise, warmer upstairs when heating. It's a factor of bi-level and tri-level homes with a single heating and cooling unit.

Air flow upstairs is usually less for two main reasons.
#1:
The heating and A/C unit may be in the lower level which means the air has to travel a longer distance to exit the registers.
#2:
The ducting used for smaller rooms is smaller by design for the rooms space size and smaller as the distance from the unit increases by design.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals on this type of system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: