Attic Fan

Old 06-24-02, 05:19 PM
reggiesmom
Visiting Guest
Attic Fan

Greetings from New Jersey!
Our first summer in our own home and it is an older one built in the late 1970's. We have (2) turbine vents on our roof and we have an attic fan in the ceiling in our hallway between (2) bedrooms. This is a ranch style with a basement that is mostly underground and nice and cool! I've never had an attic fan before and everyone is telling me we shouldn't need a/c at all; especially in the evening. I've turned it on once and it is powerful! My question is (because I've heard conflicting answers) do I just turn it on? Some folks told me to seal up the house first; but closing all windows and doors sounds stifling. Others said just leave everything open and run it; it will act as an exhaust and suck out all of the hot air! I figure if I keep everything open, it's only going to keep drawing in hot air and it's pretty hot tonight! Will I notice a change of room temperature like everyone is telling me? What type of maintenance would this need? Sorry, but this is a first for me and I want to do it right! Thank you! Trying to stay comfortable!
Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-02, 08:25 PM
mike540
Visiting Guest
Use the fan to cause a breeze.

The whole house fan concept is based on pulling in air from outside through open windows or doors. It removes hot air from the upper parts of the house especially critical in two story houses. On a really hot night I would suggest closing all of the windows in the house except the ones in the occupied bed rooms. Leave the hallway doors to those bedrooms open also. Then turn on the fan. You should get a breeze in those bed rooms created by the fan pulling air in through those open bedroom windows and doors.

As far as maintenance goes the fan shaft will probably need some oil occasionally, and the belt should be replaced every two or three years.

Old 06-24-02, 09:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Reggiesmom

The whole house fan concept mentioned by Mike 540 is correct. So is the open window concept. Outside must enter the house and exit through the attic. Doors and or windows must be opened to allow outside air to enter the house.

The attic turbines are there to allow the warmer attic air to escape the confines of the attic. Lowering the attic temp also helps to lower the interior house temp.

When the whole house fan is running, the air it is exhausting from within the house and into the attic is then forced to exit the attic through the turbines. This air movement through the house, into the attic and out the turbines then helps to create a cooler home enviroment.

Whether it actually, in temp degrees cools the house, is a matter of air flow and outside air temp entering the house. The most important aspect is the fan keeps the air circulating, thus it feels cooler.

The downside is the dust from outside enters the house through the opened windows and or doors. However, it is far less expensive running the fan then running the A/C when outside temps are bareable. Not necessarily so when the outside temp is hot and the humidity level is high.

Having A/C not only actually cools the house, it also dehumidifies the air. The East coast does have plenty of humidity and running an A/C unit does have it's benefits and cost and operational factors to consider.

Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.